Tuesday, October 15

UCLA participates in UC’s inaugural Grad Slam research competition

The original version of this article incorrectly stated which UCLA student will advance to the UC-wide competition. It is the first-place winner of UCLA's competition, not the top winners. The original article also incorrectly stated that anthropology professor Alessandro Duranti created Grad Slam. In fact, UCLA’s Graduate Division and Graduate Student Association organized the event that is part of the UC-wide competition.

UCLA students will participate in the final round of a campuswide competition Thursday in which graduate students have three minutes to describe their research in layman’s terms to a panel of judges.

In the University of California’s Grad Slam, an inaugural systemwide competition, graduate students must describe their research and why their studies are important without using any jargon relating to their research.

The top three finalists and a student picked by the audience in the UCLA competition will be awarded $3,000, $2,000, $1,000 and $500 prizes. The first-place winner from UCLA will move on to compete in the UC-wide competition held in Oakland on May 4.

UCLA’s Graduate Division and Graduate Student Association organized the UCLA competition to encourage graduate students to convey their research and ideas in a manner that anyone can understand and appreciate.

Compiled by Meghan Hodges, Bruin contributor.