Regents consider recommendations from UC medical centers

By amanda schallert

SAN FRANCISCO — The University of California Board of Regents heard about challenges that the University’s medical centers face and discussed the results of its audit at the first day of its meeting Tuesday.

The CEOs of medical centers at UC Davis, UC San Francisco, UCLA, UC Irvine and UC San Diego spoke about recent financial transactions at the centers and future initiatives. UCSF Medical Center CEO Mark Laret said they think the regents should consider establishing a separate advisory board – potentially with members who have financial expertise in the medical field – that could advise and oversee the health system.

The CEOs also urged the regents to allow leaders at each campus to hire new health staff based on market wages. Laret said health officials see current wages and the need for the regents to approve some individual packages as a major disadvantage to their ability to recruit and retain top staff in the UC system.

Finally, the CEOs recommended the regents give more power to presidents or chancellors at each campus to approve smaller-scale changes in the health system. The regents said they would consider these recommendations and revisit them.

• Dr. John Stobo, executive vice president of UC Health, gave a presentation about the UC’s medical enterprise. The system’s medical center operating revenue grew from $4.6 to $8.6 billion from the 2007 to 2014 fiscal years. Operating expenses over the same years grew similarly, from $4.3 to $8.1 billion.
  • After an update from Stobo on student health and counseling centers, UC President Janet Napolitano said she would talk with Stobo this week about potentially increasing staff for mental health services.
  • The board unanimously approved an external audit plan for the year ending in June 2015.
  • Compliance and audit committee administrative members presented to the regents about the benefits of using data analysis in auditing, the state of information technology security at the UC and the UC’s compliance with international laws. They said they think more training or expertise about international laws is needed among UC staff.

Compiled by Amanda Schallert, Bruin senior staff.

amanda schallert