USAC recap – Feb. 10

By Joseph Vescera

The Undergraduate Students Association Council is the official student government representing the undergraduate student body at UCLA. Council meetings take place every week on Tuesdays at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff 417 and are open to all students. Watch a live stream of the meeting on the USAC Live! YouTube channel.

Agenda

• The council unanimously approved contingency programming allocations of $6,150.

• The council unanimously approved cultural affairs mini fund allocations.

Special Presentations

• Michael Starr, UCLA UniCamp representative, presented on its goals and operations. Starr said this summer will be the 80th annual camp and that last year’s camp hosted more than 1,000 underprivileged and at-risk children.

• Jody Price, the senior director of development for the Special Olympics World Games, presented on the operations and the goals of the games. Price said the event will be held in Los Angeles this summer and some events will take place at the UCLA athletic facilities.

Appointments

• The council unanimously appointed first-year business economics student Jake Sacks to the John Wooden Center Board of Governors.

• The council appointed third-year global studies student Lauren Hearne to the John Wooden Center Board of Governors by consent.

• The council unanimously appointed second-year economics student Rachel Beyda to the USAC Judicial Board.

• The council unanimously appointed third-year business economics student Eric Hambly as chairman of the Office Space Allocation Committee.

Officer Reports

• President Avinoam Baral said he met with multiple UCLA administrators and UCPD representatives and discussed body cameras for university police officers.

• Internal Vice President Heather Hourdequin said she wants to have a town hall with UCPD representatives during campus safety week. She added that interviews for the new Vice Chancellor of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion position have been completed and an announcement about the selection should be near.

• Morris Sarafian, a proxy for External Vice President Conrad Contreras, said the Office of the External Vice President supports California State Sen. Ricardo Lara’s bill that would give the California legislature more oversight over the UC system.

• Marvin Chen, a proxy for Student Wellness Commissioner Savannah Badalich, said the All of Us Mental Health Matters conference was a success and that the commission will amend its bylaws to make the conference a yearly event. He added that the commission is selling Valentine’s Day consent grams this week to support the Santa Monica Rape Treatment Center.

• Transfer Student Representative Negeen Sadeghi-Movahed said her office will hold a town hall about future plans to create a transfer center in the coming weeks. She said she is working on her BruinBus routes platform and will present updates at future council meetings.

Compiled by Joseph Vescera, Bruin contributor.

Joseph Vescera