Submission: Diversity requirement critical for future campus governance

By Ryan Nelson

Dear Colleagues,

We write to categorically support the proposed College of Letters and Science undergraduate diversity requirement, an amendment to Divisional Regulation A-458 (C). The College Faculty Executive Committee, the Undergraduate Council and the UCLA Academic Senate’s Legislative Assembly have all supported this requirement following extensive vetting and debate. Nevertheless, a small group of opponents has undermined this democratic process, taking unprecedented steps to impede the adoption of this curricular change by forcing a campus-wide faculty vote.

As the Academic Senate committee charged with enhancing diversity at UCLA and assuring equal opportunity for all, we are extremely troubled by the hostility and vehement obstruction with which the diversity requirement has been met. We strongly encourage you, our colleagues, to ratify the proposed requirement in the upcoming vote. Your support is critical not only for our students and the broader UCLA community, but also for the future of faculty governance.

UCLA Academic Senate Committee on Diversity and Equal Opportunity (CODEO)

Marissa Lopez, committee chair, associate professor of English and Chicana/o studies and associate director of Chicano Studies Research Center.

Corinne Bendersky, Anderson School of Management

Tara Browner, Departments of Ethnomusicology and American Indian Studies

Esteban Dell’Angelica, Department of Human Genetics

Alicia Gaspar de Alba, chair of LGBT Studies Program, Departments of Chicana/o Studies, English and Gender Studies

Darnell Hunt, Department of Sociology and director of Ralph J. Bunche Center for African American Studies

Rose Maly, Department of Family Medicine

Claudia Mitchell-Kernan, professor emeritus in the Department of Anthropology

Russell Thornton, Department of Anthropology

Ryan Nelson | Opinion editor
Ryan Nelson was the Opinion editor from 2015-16 and a member of the Bruin Editorial Board from 2013-16. He was an opinion columnist from 2012-14 and assistant opinion editor in 2015. Alongside other Bruin reporters, Nelson covered undocumented students for the Bridget O'Brien Scholarship Foundation. He also writes about labor issues, healthcare and the environment.