Powered by senior pitcher Ally Carda, softball defeats Idaho State

UCLA’s ace, senior pitcher Ally Carda, launches a go-ahead 2-run home run in the bottom of the fourth inning, giving the Bruins a 4-3 lead that they would not relinquish. (Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

By Taylor Hollowell

When the cards are stacked against a team, sometimes the only hope for a victory is an ace.

In a contest that turned out to be less of a foregone conclusion and more of a delayed inevitability, No. 7 UCLA (1-0) needed to go to its ace in order to defeat Idaho State (0-1) 13-3 in the team’s first game of the season.

“This team showed great resilience tonight, from the seniors to the freshmen to the bench,” said coach Kelly Inouye-Perez. “You got to see a preview of what UCLA softball is all about.”

Although Inouye-Perez decided to use this game as an opportunity to start three freshmen, the Bruins were led by their veteran presence including strong performances by fellow All-Americans, senior pitcher Ally Carda and senior catcher Stephany LaRosa.

Although the end score turned out to be a blowout, the game was hanging in the balance until Inouye-Perez called upon her star player and reigning Pac-12 Player of the Year, Carda.

“She made the USA team, she’s an All-American,” LaRosa said. “So there’s going to be a little more confidence when you have that senior leadership on the mound.“

Carda, who started the game at first base, took over the pitching duties in the fourth inning and immediately got to work, displaying the type of dynamic game that makes her one of the best players in the country.

“We always talk about before the game, who is starting, who is coming in the game, and if we need someone,” Carda said. “That was me tonight.”

Idaho State had some success early against UCLA’s inexperienced pitchers. In the third inning, a double down the third base line by senior catcher Vicky Galasso scored two for the Bengals, and gave the visitors a 3-1 lead. Galasso, the 2013 Big Sky Conference Player of the Year, and the rest of the Idaho State players did not look intimidated for the beginning of the game.

Freshman pitcher Johanna Grauer was given the start in today’s game, yet struggled in what was the first collegiate of her young career. Grauer never seemed to find a groove on the mound and was pulled after allowing three runs in only 2 1/3 innings of work.

Still, the Bruins proved too powerful for the Bengals. A home run by LaRosa in the bottom of the third was the first of three for the team, and kept UCLA within striking distance.

“My previous at-bat, (the opposing pitcher) actually came rise-in on me, so knowing that I prepared my second at-bat,” LaRosa said. “She came back with that pitch; I saw it and got a hold of it.”

Junior outfielder Allexis Bennett, who hit .404 last year, carried over her hot streak. Bennett had three hits and two runs on the day, including a line drive RBI for the first point of the game.

Still, the Bruins can rest easy knowing the special card they always have in their deck.

“To have the best pitcher in the country, to me, is definitely a weapon,” Inouye-Perez said. “And I know that.“

UCLA will get right back at it Friday, continuing in the SoCal Collegiate Classic against Texas A&M; and Notre Dame at Easton Stadium.

Taylor Hollowell