USAC accepting applicants for delagates to national conference in DC

By Sujung Hahn

An undergraduate student government office is now accepting applications from students who want to travel to Washington, D.C. for a national student lobbying conference in March.

Students who apply by Feb. 1 may serve as UCLA delegates for the 46th annual United States Student Association’s National Grassroots Legislative Conference and National Student Lobby Day, known as LegCon, held from Mar. 27 to Mar. 30.

About 60 students applied and 20 traveled to Washington, D.C. last year with the program organized by the Undergraduate Students Association Council External Vice President’s Office. USAC External Vice President Conrad Contreras said he expects to bring at least 10 students to the city this year.

The USSA aims to organize students to address issues at the local, state and federal levels and hosts two major conferences annually. The association hosted one of its national conferences at UC Irvine last summer.

USSA has been advocating for universities and law enforcement to improve their responses to sexual violence and to increase funding for Pell Grants and other government-funded higher education programs, among other issues, Contreras said.

Accepted students for LegCon will receive a free roundtrip flight to Washington, D.C. and free housing. The USAC External Vice President’s Office will provide funding for students to attend the conference out of its travel budget, Contreras said. He said he expects the office will pay anywhere from $8,000 to $15,000 for the trip.

Students will have opportunities to lobby officials and legislators, to participate in training sessions on leadership, organizing and advocacy, and to discuss student issues, such as college affordability and access. They can also apply to lead workshops at the conference, Contreras said.

Compiled by Sujung Hahn, Bruin contributor. Contributing reports from Jeong Park, Bruin senior staff.

Sujung Hahn