UCLA women’s water polo kicks off season with two wins at invitational

Junior attacker Rachel Fattal netted seven goals in the Bruins’ two victories this weekend. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Claire Fahy

UCLA women’s water polo opened its 2015 season with two wins over Cal Baptist and Loyola Marymount University during the UCLA Invitational at Spieker Aquatics Center. The Bruins won both matches in dominating fashion, overcoming the Lancers 16-5 before trouncing the Lions 21-3.

The team looked strong from the opening sprint on Saturday, opening up an 11-2 lead over Cal Baptist by halftime. Junior center India Forster contributed four goals to the final scoreline.

In similar fashion to their first match, the Bruins opened their win over the Lions with a 7-0 start before LMU managed to score. Junior attacker Rachel Fattal contributed four goals before coach Brandon Brooks pulled his starting lineup and put his bench in the game.

UCLA’s next competition will come this weekend at the University of California Santa Barbara Winter Invitational where the Bruins will be challenged by playing four games in two days.

Compiled by Claire Fahy, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.