Men’s volleyball looks to keep undefeated record at BYU

With the men’s volleyball team preparing to travel to Provo, Utah to play BYU, sophomore middle blocker Mitch Stahl and the Bruins are working on serving differently because of the altitude difference that makes a ball sail. (Max Himmelrich/Daily Bruin)

By Tanner Walters

With a pair of conference matches against Brigham Young University looming this weekend, the UCLA men’s volleyball team is taking advantage of almost a full week of practices before heading to Provo, Utah. After winning all three of its matches in the UCSB Asics Invitational last weekend, the team has been able to prepare for its toughest opponent so far in the young season.

“It helps quite a bit to have that opportunity to train and actually get in some really good practice – focused practice – is really important,” said coach John Speraw. “Our season, typically, doesn’t allow us to do that very often. But when you have the opportunity to play BYU that week it gives you an opportunity to train.”

With those extra practices, the Bruins (3-0) have been keeping the location of their upcoming matches in mind.

“We practice heckling training, we vigorously get after each other and try and knock each other off focus,” said sophomore middle blocker Mitch Stahl. “We’ve also been working on serving the ball differently because of the altitude in Provo. It affects the serve a lot and makes the ball sail.”

Traveling to play No. 7 BYU, however, has left No. 4 UCLA with no success in recent years. The last time the team was able to bring a victory home from Provo was in 2010 when they split a pair of matches. This season, the Bruins hope to stop the drought at five years.

“I’m a third-year, I’ve lost to BYU every time we’ve played there and it really grinds my gears,” said junior setter Steve O’Dell. “I’m looking forward to going out there and giving it all we’ve got.”

UCLA started the season with two exhibition wins and an undefeated UCSB Invitational. The team was able to get some victories under its belt and Speraw spent the Invitational experimenting with the lineups in preparation for the rest of the season. Now, the team will see if this week’s practices were preparation enough for the atmosphere of conference play.

“It definitely brings out the competitive edge of everyone,” Stahl said. “Games are a lot more intense and the rivalry is heightened whenever we play in Provo.”

Tanner Walters | Alumnus
Walters joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Alumni director for the 2017-2018 academic year, Editor in Chief for the 2016-2017 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year. Walter spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's volleyball, men's soccer, men's water polo and rowing beats.