Thursday, May 2, 2024

Geffen School of Medicine dean resigns, accepts position at Duke

By Julia Raven

The original version of this article contained an error and has been changed. See the bottom of the article for more information.

The vice chancellor of UCLA Health Sciences and dean of the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA resigned Chancellor Gene Block announced on Tuesday.

Dr. A. Eugene Washington is leaving UCLA to work as Duke University’s chancellor for health affairs as well as president and CEO of the Duke University Health System, said Chancellor Gene Block in a released statement released to the campus community Tuesday.

Washington came to UCLA in 2010 from UC San Francisco. He is set to begin his position at Duke University April 1, Block said in the statement.

Block said he thinks Washington helped create a blueprint for the medical school’s and health system’s future and contributed time to researching hands-on health care to solve critical health issues in underserved communities.

Washington has helped develop clinical practice guidelines as well as established disease prevention policies, especially in women’s health, Block said in the email.

Block and Scott Waugh, executive vice chancellor and provost, plan to appoint an interim vice chancellor and dean until someone is appointed permanently, Block added.

Compiled by Julia Raven, Bruin staff.

Correction: Block and Waugh plan to appoint an interim vice chancellor and dean. Waugh will not become the interim vice chancellor and dean.

Julia Raven