Fashion Forward: Athletic wear is flexible for both gym, class

By Aubrey Yeo and Alexis Williams

The fashion industry is one that constantly evolves and pushes different boundaries every day. On the personal level, the world of fashion is also open to interpretation, giving individuals a chance to reflect their personal style. Each week, columnists Alexis Williams and Aubrey Yeo look at a different topic in fashion, and find out what keeps fashion moving forward at UCLA.

What do we get after indulging in a life of gluttony over winter break? Just that dreaded feeling of our pants tightening around our waistlines. It’s time to hit the gym. And with New Year’s resolutions still fresh in people’s minds, we get the feeling we won’t be the only ones getting that BruinCard scanned on a more frequent basis, which also means it’s time to start showing off our best workout attire.

***

If you’re like me, and prefer beating the daytime John Wooden Center crowd by going near closing time, breathable, light fabrics become a double-edged sword in the chilly winter nights. I like to throw on my navy French Connection aura windbreaker. Its simple, sleek design is an easy integration into most of my workout outfits.

web.ae.1.9.fashionforward.picC.AYEO.jpg
Fourth-year psychology student Kate Miller. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Fourth-year psychology student Kate Miller said she incorporates layers into her pre- and post-workout wear, but also seeks a sporty congruity to her ensemble.

“(I’m) staying warm before the workout and after the workout, and I need something sporty to go with my sporty outfit,” Miller said.

After workouts, I’ll put on my yellow CaraD4DKNY beanie, which goes well with the similarly colored motifs on my windbreaker, but also keeps my post-workout disheveled mop of hair in check

.There is the tendency to believe that workout outfits inherently just fall into the category of something that screams bad fashion sense, and my suggestion of adding a plain jacket and headgear to an ensemble might initially seem to purport that sentiment.

But recent developments in the fashion world such as the Alexander Wang x H&M; collection launched last November have challenged that notion. Described as “the sporty-minded fantasy we were hoping for” by Vogue magazine, the collection features largely solid black designs on its pieces, save for the “AW” or “WANG” logo. Where the collection really pushes the envelope on its connection to the world of sporting attire is through the artwork with the photos from the look book all composed within a gym and with their own set of weight racks.

web.ae.1.9.fashionforward.picD.AYEO.jpg
Pathway Program at UCLA extension student Alana Ashwal. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

CaraD4DKNY, a collaborative effort that features the joint efforts of the London-born fashion icon Cara Delevingne with the New York-based fashion label, also features leggings, sports bras, loose tank tops and sweat pants that would fit in seamlessly with what someone would wear on a trip to the gym.

While clothes from both collections might be too pricey to be worn for actual workouts, their inspiration from gym attire carries an underlying message that with a little bit of creativity and some mixing and matching, it’s possible to create a fashionable look that doesn’t have to end when the exercising starts.

– Aubrey Yeo

***

By sundown, I’m usually already committed to my couch and pajamas, meaning if I’m going to hit Wooden any time, it has to be during the day. I find filling the annoying one-hour gaps in my schedule with a quick workout at the gym a good way to pass the time and be productive – as long as I dressed the part that morning.

If you plan to try to squeeze in a quick workout during the day, a pair of patterned leggings can give you the motivation to run the extra mile. Without Walls, a brand designed by the creators of Urban Outfitters and Free People and sold in most Urban Outfitters stores, carries fitted leggings with muted colors and mixed textures. Swap your athletic shoes for neutral-colored booties and a tank or sweater, and no one will know those metallic, laser-cut leggings were the same ones you just ran 10 miles in.

Lucky for us, this year marks the 10th anniversary of designer Stella McCartney’s partnership with Adidas. For the past 10 years, Adidas by Stella McCartney has given us some of the best transitional exercise attire, standing out because of its flattering cuts and rich, non-neon solids. To celebrate the partnership, on Thursday, the pair will launch StellaSport, which targets a younger audience and heads in a much more bold direction. The brand promises the same comfortable cuts and fabrics, but will feature loud neon and primary colors and patterns.

web.ae.1.9.fashionforward.picB.AYEO.jpg
Third-year computer science and engineering student Kyle Nguyen incorporates athletic apparel in his style. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

This push toward more transitional, fashion-forward exercise clothing, coined “athleisure” in the industry, is one that directly benefits fashion-conscious UCLA students. Kyle Nguyen, a third-year computer science and engineering student, said he typically goes for comfortable, more mobile looks, but often wears the same pieces for both athletics and leisure.

“To be honest, my workout clothing is kind of like my casual attire as well,” Nguyen said. “I usually carry a shirt, and maybe shorts in my backpack, and if I feel like working out, then I’m ready.”

– Alexis Williams

Aubrey Yeo | Alumnus