Gov. Brown appoints Gareth Elliott to UC Board of Regents

By Kat Bocanegra Speed

Gov. Jerry Brown appointed his legislative affairs secretary to the University of California Board of Regents Friday.

Gareth Elliott has served as Brown’s legislative affairs secretary since 2011. Elliott worked as a policy director for state Sen. Alex Padilla from 2008 to 2011 and for former state Senate President Pro Tempore Don Perata.

The regents govern the University and are appointed to 12-year terms by the governor. There are 18 regents on the 26-member governing board. Brown has appointed four members to the board and re-appointed three others.

UC spokeswoman Dianne Klein said that Elliott is a welcome addition to the board because of his extensive legislative experience and interest in educational issues.

“The reality is that the University has extensive engagement with the Legislature, and we think that adding someone with this particular expertise is valuable,” Klein said.

Elliott is the second of Brown’s appointees with legislative experience. Brown appointed John A. Pérez, a former California assemblyman, to the board on Nov. 17.

Brown has filled three empty seats on the board since the tuition increase proposal in November 2014. Elliott’s appointment has filled the last vacancy on the 26-member board.

The regents meeting later this month will be Elliott’s first official meeting on the board.

Brown’s appointment awaits confirmation by the California Senate.

Compiled by Kat Bocanegra-Speed, Bruin contributor.

Kat Bocanegra Speed