Despite strong defense, women’s basketball loses to Notre Dame 82-67

By Annie Bardet

Last season, UCLA women’s basketball was able to upset a top-10 team when it defeated University of Oklahoma.

This season, the unranked Bruins (4-7) have been winless in nonconference play against five ranked teams. No. 4 University of Notre Dame put the final nail in UCLA’s nonconference coffin this afternoon with an 82-67 victory.

Yet, despite the ultimate Irish victory, the lead switched three times throughout the game. This was not the case last week against the University of Connecticut Huskies who managed to maintain a lead for the last 37 minutes of the game.

The Bruins came close to matching the Irish in total rebounds, tallying 41 compared to the Irish’s 44. The Irish outrebounded the Bruins defensively, 29-18, but the Bruins held their own off the boards offensively, recording eight more offensive rebounds than the Irish.

Junior guard Nirra Fields led the Bruins in scoring with 20 points, while freshman guard Jordin Canada tallied 16. Fields and Canada were the only two UCLA players to score in double figures.

This season, UCLA has shown strength from the bench. The Bruins have outscored nine of 11 opponents in bench points, including Notre Dame.

UCLA was also able to apply effective defensive pressure, forcing three more turnovers than Notre Dame. The Bruins also tallied three more steals than the Irish. Freshman forward Monique Billings had a season high with four steals.

UCLA has struggled with precision the most they have all season in the past two games, both against top-five teams. Notre Dame was able to sink the ball with more accuracy than the Bruins, who finished the game with a field goal percentage of 33.3 percent. Last week against UConn, the Bruins’ shooting accuracy was 32.2 percent.

UCLA faces off against their cross-town rival and first Pac-12 opponent of the season, University of Southern California, on Dec. 30.

Compiled by Annie Bardet, Bruin Sports contributor.

Annie Bardet