Man arrested in connection with apartment mail room package thefts

By Sam Hoff

University police arrested a Los Angeles man Friday in connection with a series of thefts from a Strathmore Drive apartment mail room.

Police had been searching for two men wanted for stealing packages from the mail room in five incidents since Dec. 5, and warned apartment building security staff about the men, said UCPD Lt. Mark Littlestone. The thefts included a UCLA student’s package of three skateboards worth more than $2,200.

UCPD officers arrested Steven Villasenor, 19, Friday morning on a charge of burglary after a security guard at the Strathmore Regency apartment building saw him on a monitor entering the mail room and taking packages. The guard told police Villasenor matched the description of one of the two men, Littlestone said.

Police are still looking for another man they say was involved in the thefts. He is described as Hispanic, 5-feet-5-inches to 5-feet-7-inches tall with a slim build.

Villasenor had two outstanding felony warrants, one for burglary and another for grand theft, when he was arrested.

Police retrieved an Xbox game and some clothing from Villasenor during the arrest, Littlestone said. He added that he was not sure if other packages have been recovered.

Villasenor is being held in the Men’s Central Jail in downtown L.A. in lieu of $65,000 bail. He is scheduled to appear in court Wednesday.

Compiled by Sam Hoff, Bruin senior staff.

Sam Hoff | Alumnus