Women’s basketball defeats Sacramento State 92-83 to continue win steak

Freshman guard Recee’ Caldwell was on the floor for 36 minutes against Sacramento State, the longest she’s played in her career as a Bruin. (Erin Ng/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Annie Bardet

Dec. 15, 2014 4:02 a.m.

The coaching staff of the UCLA women’s basketball team walked into Pauley Pavilion barefoot, sat on the sidelines barefoot and even huddled in timeouts barefoot.

While the pace of Friday’s game vs. Sacramento State was undeniably fast, it wasn’t the rapidity of the game, the 92-83 victory or the numerous career highs that that knocked the socks off coach Cori Close and the rest of the staff.

It was the Samaritan’s Feet shoe drive.

This winter, the Bruins have partnered with the Dream Center to provide new custom-fit shoes and socks to an entire elementary school in downtown Los Angeles.

“This game was about something bigger than a win,” Close said.

The win, however, did not come easy. Sacramento State (1-8) entered the game leading the NCAA with 13.1 3-pointers made per game and 16.4 steals per game. The Hornets were also third in offensive rebounds and fifth in turnover margin.

Coming off a win over UC Riverside just two days before Friday’s game, UCLA had hardly any time to prepare for a team that shoots an average of more than 40 shots from the 3-point line per game.

“We had one day of prep, and we definitely focused on that,” said redshirt sophomore guard Kari Korver. “We tried to be out on the 3-point line in practice.”

The Hornets capitalized on their strengths and sunk 15 of 46 3-point attempts against the Bruins. While UCLA was dominant off the glass defensively, Sacramento State was able to tally 21 offensive rebounds.

“We didn’t take away their strength. That’s what they’re averaging,” Close said. “They played exactly the way they wanted to play. We’re just lucky that we had a few more weapons then they did. I’ve got to give them credit, and we’ve got to learn from that.”

The Bruins started fast, jumping to a 20-7 lead in the first five minutes of the game.

Freshman guard Recee’ Caldwell was on the court for 36 minutes, the longest she’s played in a game all season. Her injured best friend, freshman guard Jordin Canada, did not play because of lower back pain after suffering a fall against UC Riverside.

At halftime, the Bruins led 48-41. The Hornets went on a 6-0 run in the middle of the second period to condense UCLA’s lead to only three points. Yet, the Bruins were able to regain and keep a comfortable lead as the game came to a close just as rapidly as it started.

“This was not a coach’s game. This was a player’s game. I felt like I had zero control pretty much the whole entire game,” Close said, laughing. “These guys had to go and make it happen, and they did.”

The Bruins, who dropped from the rankings after losing their first four games, are reversing their fortunes. Although still unranked, they now ride a three-game win streak.

“Nothing has changed with our confidence since the first game,” Caldwell said. “It just feels good to win. … I think we know we’re a pretty good team when we start playing as one.”

The team’s unity has been crucial, especially with 10 new players as well as six freshmen and one redshirt freshman. While UCLA has a few returners from previous seasons, the rookies have been a critical component of the Bruins’ victories.

Close found it hard to highlight just one player from Friday’s game, especially after three players set new career highs in points – Korver with 22, Caldwell with 16 and freshman forward Monique Billings with 10. The team recorded season highs with 92 points and 21 assists.

“I love our team’s selflessness and I love our team spirit,” Close said. “They have a care for each other, and they have a willingness to learn and do new things. I’m thankful for that. … You just watch, come the first of February, what this team starts to do.”

The Bruins’ schedule is packed for the rest of December. UCLA faces the University of Miami on Dec. 18 and Samford University on Dec. 19 in the Tulane/DoubleTree Classic, No. 2 University of Connecticut on Dec. 21, No. 5 University of Notre Dame on Dec. 28 and the University of Southern California on Dec. 30.

Annie Bardet