Saturday, May 11, 2024

Daily Bruin Sports highlights San Antonio’s hottest attractions

Kelly Brennan/Daily Bruin

By Aubrey Yeo, Kevin Bowman, and Jordan Lee

Dec. 15, 2014 3:07 a.m.

River Walk

A five-mile pedestrian-only walkway that runs parallel to the San Antonio River, the River Walk offers not just a beautiful view of the water, surrounding trees and architecture, but also a vein through the cultural hub of the city. A plethora of dining options are available along the path, with colorful umbrellas offering shade for the waterside tables. Riverboats are available for boat tours and many of the city’s main attractions are located just off the River Walk itself, connecting all the sightseeing together.

The Alamo
The first of the Catholic missions built in San Antonio by the Spanish, the Alamo was constructed in 1718 and was made famous in 1836, when almost 200 Texans holed up inside for 13 days to fend off over a thousand Mexican troops during the Texas Revolution. All the Texas defenders inside died in the Battle of the Alamo, but their deaths became a rallying cry for the revolution, with people shouting, “Remember the Alamo!” Now tours and a museum are open at the Alamo to relive the old building’s rich history.

Natural Bridge Caverns
The Natural Bridge Caverns offers visitors a number of different ways to view impressive natural geological formations on-site, headlined by the Discovery Tour – a 75-minute, three-fourths mile guided tour that takes guests underground and treats them to a number of impressive sights. The Hidden Passages Adventure tour is a bit more demanding, lasting three to four hours and taking guests as far as 230 feet underground as they climb, crawl and rappel through the course with only the light of their helmet to guide them. Above ground, patrons can take on the Canopy Challenge, where guests grapple through a 47-item obstacle course capped off by a zip line.

Buckhorn Museum
The Buckhorn Saloon and Museum features displays of a wide variety of animal life from all over the world. In addition to the number of mounted animal displays, the Buckhorn is home to the Hall of Horns, one of the world’s largest collections of horns and antlers. Additional exhibits include the “Carnival of Curiosities” – an interactive display of optical illusions – as well as “The American Sideshow,” which takes patrons back into the world of famed showman PT Barnum.

Texas Ranger Museum

The Texas Ranger Museum is home to an assortment of Texas Ranger paraphernalia including weaponry, badges and photographs in addition to a recreation of San Antonio at the turn of the century. Attendees can explore a replica of Buckhorn Saloon, a newspaper and telegram office, a jail cell and a Bonnie and Clyde exhibit.

Patrons can grab a drink at the Saloon, which offers seven locally-brewed beers, or dine at the cafe, which offers burgers, sandwiches and other entrees, in addition to salads and desserts.

San Antonio Missions National Historical Park
Although the four missions in the San Antonio Missions National Historical Park may not be as well-remembered as the Alamo, they preserve the same Spanish colonial architecture for visitors to peruse. The four missions – Concepción, Espada, San José and San Juan – still serve as active churches that hold regular Sunday services. The missions also provide visitors with booking options for weddings and funeral services.

Bill Miller’s
Bill Miller Bar-B-Q has been a San Antonio staple since 1950. The menu offers a selection of barbecue classics such as ribs, beef brisket, cole slaw, beans and sausage links, in addition to fried chicken, sandwiches, soup and salad, as well as baked goods. Patrons can select individual orders and combo meals or opt for one of the family meals that feed three to four and five to six people respectively. Prices are fairly reasonable and with 48 restaurants in San Antonio, one certainly isn’t hard to find.

Pappasito’s
In a city known for its Tex-Mex food, Pappasito’s Cantina offers one of San Antonio’s most popular options. Founded by the grandsons of a Greek immigrant, its food is still good enough to elicit four-star reviews from every major food-review website. Known for its sizzling plates and its margaritas, Pappasito’s offers good food and a festive atmosphere.

Saltgrass Steak House

A trip to Texas wouldn’t be complete without at least one steak dinner, and Saltgrass Steak House serves some of the best steak in San Antonio. Although it serves steak that it claims to have a “unique combination of exceptional leanness and fine marbling that makes it truly a cut above the rest,” Saltgrass offers more than just its signature dish. From soups and salads, to burgers, to shrimp, to chicken, and of course, to steak, there are options for everyone at Saltgrass.

Compiled by Kevin Bowman and Jordan Lee, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Aubrey Yeo | Alumnus
Jordan Lee | Alumnus
Lee joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2011 and contributed until he graduated in 2011. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2013-2014 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, softball and women's volleyball beats.