UCLA dive team plunges into first out-of-state meet in Georgia

Freshman Maria Polyakova and the UCLA dive team head southeast this weekend as it participates in the University of Georgia Fall Invitational. (Katie Meyers/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Lea Chang

Dec. 5, 2014 11:26 a.m.

UCLA dive has very few things going for it this weekend.

The team will be competing in the University of Georgia Fall Invitational in Athens, Ga., In addition to the three-hour time difference under which the Bruins have to compete, not everyone is in top condition to dive.

“There are some nagging little injuries – we hope we can overcome those,” said dive coach Tom Stebbins.

Some injuries are larger than others. Freshman Maria Polyakova said that teammate junior Montana Monahan injured her shin and recently had surgery, but she has since recovered and will be competing on the platform Sunday.

Despite these concerns, however, Stebbins said that they are not the most crucial factors for a meet.

“We have to be able to compete no matter what time of day,” Stebbins said of the time difference.

Both athletes and coach agree that the strength of the team’s mental game is what can make or break the invitational.

“I think the biggest thing we need to focus on is doing what you need to do – to not be nervous,” Polyakova said.

The Bruins’ mindset for Friday appears to be to remain aware of the adverse conditions they have stacked against them but to stay confident in their own abilities regardless.

“I think we’re in a good spot mentally – the challenges are always great when there’s a break,” Stebbins said. “The girls were off Thursday through Sunday, but our base training has been good and we looked good at practice (Monday).”

The Bruins are already looking ahead, hoping to use this invitational to set themselves up for success at the NCAAs.

The University of Georgia Fall Invitational is the first out-of-state competition that the dive team will be attending this season, which means it could reveal challenges unique to out-of-state competitions and prepare the Bruins for the NCAAs on the East Coast in March.

“Since NCAAs are in Greensboro, (N.C.), this meet will be a good dress rehearsal for that,” Stebbins said.

Compiled by Lea Chang, Bruin Sports contributor.

Lea Chang