UCLA-Virginia matchup features showdown between top midfielders

The quarterfinal matchup between No. 1-seeded UCLA and No. 2-seeded University of Virginia will feature a showdown between two of the nation’s top attacking midfielders – UCLA senior Sam Mewis (left) and Virginia senior Morgan Brian (right).
(Photo illustration by Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff; photos by Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff (left) and Lauren Hornsby/Cavalier Daily (right))

By Aubrey Yeo

When No. 1-seeded UCLA’s and No. 2-seeded University of Virginia’s women’s soccer teams meet up for the second time in two years, it’ll be like déjà vu, only better on paper.

In their last meeting at the NCAA Final Four about one year ago, each team brought its nation-leading statistics to the fray – Virginia had the country’s top offense, while UCLA was its defensive counterpart.

Both teams are still No. 1 in the nation in these categories but have brought some improvements along the way. Virginia’s top-scoring offense has improved its goal-scoring average to 3.61 from last year’s 3.08, while UCLA’s top defense has brought down last year’s numbers from .283 to .178.

But on Friday, when the nation’s top offense takes on the nation’s top defense, it might just be the midfield that makes the difference.

“It’s a huge midfield matchup,” said UCLA coach Amanda Cromwell. “(Virginia’s) Morgan Brian and (Danielle) Colaprico’s very good in their midfield. I think it’s going to be who can win the midfield duel.”

While the stat sheets might suggest that the strengths of the Bruins (21-0-2) and the Cavaliers (21-2-0) lie on opposite sides of the spectrum, a look at the roster might suggest that their teams share focal points in their play.

And they happen to be both teams’ attacking midfielders, UCLA’s Sam Mewis and Virginia’s Brian, both seniors.

“They’re obviously top-goal scorers and assist leaders on both teams,” said senior defender Abby Dahlkemper. “So I think that will definitely be a good battle and test to see who can really show up during this game.”

Although the playmakers may share the same position, there are certain subtleties that separate both members of the U.S. women’s national team.

Brian operates as an attacking midfielder in the Cavaliers’ 4-4-2 diamond formation, while Mewis functions in a similar capacity but in her team’s 4-2-3-1 system.

“They play in a four diamond, so that’s going to be a little bit different, and we have to figure that out with our three midfield and wing forwards,” Dahlkemper said.

Brian’s role as the central cog in the Virginia machine is predicated on her ability to make the quick, perfect weighted passes that have constantly helped her teammates produce goals all season.

In addition to her playmaking, Brian’s ability to get into space and score goals catapulted her to the title of best player in the country as the recipient of last season’s MAC Hermann Trophy.

On the other hand, Mewis has also been able to create a fair share of assists throughout the season, but it’s her lethal strike that has defined her play this season and ushered her to a team-high, 16-goal tally.

And while the two potential top draft picks try to end their senior seasons with a top finish in the NCAA tournament, their biggest obstacles down that route may be each other’s teams.

“(Virginia is) definitely a strong team,” said junior forward Taylor Smith. “I think they’re probably going to be the strongest team we play this year.”

And as last year’s penalty shootout in the Final Four has taught them, only one of the midfielders will get to leave the pitch with a smile on her face.

Aubrey Yeo | Alumnus