UCLA men’s basketball dominates in 107-74 win against Nicholls State

UCLA’s victory over Nicholls State on Thursday night came largely from Bruin floor general sophomore Bryce Alford outmatching his Colonel counterparts. (Joseph Chan/Daily Bruin)

By Kevin Bowman

UCLA didn’t mess around in the opening minutes of its game against Nicholls State Thursday.

On their very first possession, the Bruins swung the ball around the key, then fed it to the post where freshman forward Kevon Looney easily laid it in.

After struggling out of the gate offensively on Sunday against Coastal Carolina, relying frequently on long jump shots, UCLA wasn’t about to make the same mistake twice.

The Bruins (3-0) took the ball to the paint early and often in their 107-74 rout of the Colonels (0-2).

Of UCLA’s 107 points, 60 were either points in the paint or scored off free throws drawn by driving the ball inside. With that efficient style of play, the Bruins built a 20-point lead after the first nine minutes and were ahead by 31 points by halftime.

“We thought we could (score inside). (Nicholls State is) not a relatively big team and without really a shot blocker or a true center,” said coach Steve Alford. “And we wanted to make sure we got (junior forward/center) Tony (Parker) going and I thought that was a big key to start the game. … He became that dominant center in tonight’s game and that was good to see.”

Much of the Bruins’ success inside was a result of their significant size advantage. Nicholls State had just one player listed at 6-foot-10 or higher – sophomore forward Liam Thomas – but he weighs just 195 pounds. Thomas was matched up against UCLA junior forward/center Tony Parker, who is an inch shorter but 65 pounds heavier.

Parker’s additional bulk allowed him to secure any low-post position he wanted, and he made use of that straight away. In the first half alone, Parker scored 13 points on 4-6 shooting and grabbed six rebounds. He finished with 20 points and seven rebounds.

“I was really just trying to get rebounds. Points really don’t matter,” Parker said. “I really was just trying to board; that’s big time. … Rebounds are a big key for me.”

The drastic size differential was also evident in the rebound column of the stat sheet. UCLA had no trouble controlling the glass, out-rebounding Nicholls State 49-33.

While the Bruins’ size and interior scoring gave them their most distinct advantage, perhaps the biggest contributor to UCLA’s big lead came from its smallest starter.

Parker’s dominance was overshadowed by sophomore guard Bryce Alford.

Alford provided a mix of street ball flair and impeccable technique, alternating flashy passes with knock-down three-point shots. On one fast break, Alford dribbled behind his back to beat a defender, then wrapped the ball around his body again for a behind-the-back pass to sophomore guard Isaac Hamilton in the corner who nailed a three-pointer.

“I don’t really plan for that to happen or anything it’s kinda something that’s just spur of the moment,” Alford said. “If somebody’s coming at you, you gotta make them miss somehow.”

Alford, who played with a light strain to his hip flexor, led the way for UCLA in the first half of its blowout, scoring 18 points with four three-pointers and seven assists in the opening period. He finished with 28 points and 13 assists for his second double-double of the season, and of his career.

UCLA will look for its strong play to continue as its schedule becomes more challenging. After Sunday’s game against Long Beach State, UCLA will head to the Bahamas to face No. 18 Oklahoma Wednesday.

Kevin Bowman | Alumnus