UCLA football looks to rise above foul play in USC game

Junior cornerback Ishmael Adams hurdles a USC defender on a kick return. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Jordan Lee

For the most part, the rivalry between UCLA and USC is one that is easily demarcated. Two teams separated by 12 miles of mutual animosity, loyalties easily identified against a backdrop of either Bruin blue or Trojan cardinal. Come Saturday though, coach Jim Mora said he hopes the game won’t be so black and white.

Two of the nation’s most penalized teams square off as No. 9 UCLA (8-2, 5-2 Pac-12) hosts crosstown rival No. 19 USC (7-3, 6-2). And while each’s focus will be on the other, both are concerned about not letting themselves – or the referees – cost them a shot at the Pac-12 South division title.

“I hope the officials understand the significance of this game and let young men go out and decide the outcome,” Mora said. “I hope that penalties aren’t what decides this game, I hope it’s the players on the field playing their hearts out.”

UCLA and USC each have players not only capable of deciding a game, but taking one over.

Sophomore linebacker Myles Jack remains one of the most dynamic players in the country, while the Trojans have yet to slow down Brett Hundley, let alone defeat the redshirt junior quarterback in two prior meetings.

With a win, Hundley will likely finish his UCLA career 3-0 against the Bruins’ biggest rival, a fact little lost on the quarterback.

“It’d be huge. Obviously something nice to look back on and walk away here with,” Hundley said. “But we got to get that third win and that’s what we’re focused on.”

The biggest roadblock in Hundley’s path to perfection against the Trojans is defensive end Leonard Williams.

In his three years at USC, the junior has developed into one of the top players in all of college football and has the type of skill set that has pro scouts and opposition coaches raving.

“He’s disruptive, he’s explosive, he can play the run (and) he can rush the passer. I don’t know if he’s a top-10, top-five (or) top pick but he’s in the discussion,” Mora said. “He’s something special. We really have to do a great job of taking care of him this week.”

UCLA finds itself in this position – in control of its own fate and back in the national title picture – because it has taken care of its penalty problem.

While the Bruins tie for No. 14 in most penalties committed, they have only committed six in their last six quarters and looked sharp in wins over Arizona and Washington.

Whether they can retain that form in what is normally a chippy rivalry game with the Trojans – who have committed more penalties than all but three teams – remains to be seen.

Recent history suggests no, if only because the game will be called by the much-derided Pac-12 referees. Arizona State is the only conference school not to be ranked in the bottom-half of the nation in penalties committed this season.

Still, while Mora – and every other Pac-12 coach this year – has his worries about the league’s officiating, the Bruins know their main concern lies not with the people in black and white, but in true blue and gold.

“Forget the Pac-12 ref tendencies. (It’s) knowing our own tendencies: We get hyped up at the beginning of the game, we get very active (and) we like to talk, so (limiting penalties) is going to be a goal,” said junior cornerback Ishmael Adams. “It’s a big game. It’s a rivalry game. It’s going to be rowdy, so it is what it is and we will do our best to keep it under control with the penalties.”

Jordan Lee | Alumnus
Lee joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2011 and contributed until he graduated in 2011. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2013-2014 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, softball and women's volleyball beats.