USAC accepting applications for internal vice president position

USAC Internal Vice President Application
Due Friday, 11:59 p.m.

By Jillian Frankel

Applications for the undergraduate student government internal vice president seat are available online until Friday and are open to all students.

The position opened up last week after former Undergraduate Students Association Council Internal Vice President Avinoam Baral assumed the USAC presidency. Devin Murphy resigned from his role as USAC president last Friday.

The internal vice president acts as the primary liaison between student groups and USAC, as well as between USAC and university police. He or she must fulfill administrative responsibilities, such as arranging weekly meeting agendas, and assist the president in coordinating student participation in non-academic committees.

The new internal vice president will also serve as a representative of students at the council table, having the power to vote on student fee allocations and on resolutions.

Applications are due Friday at 11:59 p.m., and interviews for the position will be held over the weekend, Baral said.

He added that he hopes to present one nominee to USAC for majority approval next Tuesday at the council’s weekly meeting.

“I’m looking for somebody who is going to continue to uphold the vision of the council and who demonstrates a strong grasp of USAC and its bylaws,” Baral said. “The internal vice president is an administrative position and (the new nominee) needs to be competent at handling these duties.”

At this week’s USAC meeting, some councilmembers voiced concerns about Baral assuming the presidency because of uncertainty regarding when council’s term in office began. Murphy resigned around the midpoint of councilmembers’ terms in office. No action was taken at the recent USAC meeting, however, in response to the concerns.

USAC meetings take place on Tuesdays at 7 p.m. in Kerckhoff Hall 417.

Compiled by Jillian Frankel, Bruin contributor.

Jillian Frankel