UCLA men’s basketball leads Nicholls State 60-29 at halftime

By Matt Joye

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

UCLA continually attacked on offense and used a dominant defensive effort en route to building a 60-29 lead over Nicholls State in the first half.

Sophomore guard Bryce Alford led all scorers with 18 points, while junior forward/center Tony Parker chipped in with 13 points and six rebounds.
The Colonels trailed 16-10 early before the Bruins used a combination of sharp outside shooting and a distinct size advantage inside to go on a 17-0 run.
As it did against Montana State and Coastal Carolina a week prior, UCLA’s length on defense bothered Nicholls State. The Colonels were ice cold from the field to start, and finished the half 2-11 beyond the arc.
UCLA’s offense, however, was as sharp as it had been all season. Alford, along with fellow guards sophomore Isaac Hamilton and senior Norman Powell aggressively drove the lane and connected from outside, combining for 33 points and 12 assists.
Parker and freshman forward Kevon Looney led the way inside for the Bruins, as Parker regularly drew contact inside and hit 5 of 7 free throws while Looney was active on the glass again, collecting six rebounds in the first 20 minutes.
Nine different Bruins scored, as UCLA shot 63.6 percent from the field, including 6-11 from three-point range.
Compiled by Jordan Lee, Bruin Sports senior staff.
Matt Joye | Alumnus
Joye joined the Bruin as a sophomore transfer in 2013 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, softball, men's soccer, women's tennis, track and field and cross country beats.