Submission: UCLA community should sustain tobacco-free environment

By Linda Sarna and Michael Ong

Thursday is the 39th annual Great American Smokeout, when tobacco users nationally are encouraged to quit. It is also very close to the first anniversary of the University of California’s full implementation of its tobacco-free policy. UCLA was the first University of California campus to fully adopt a policy that creates a smoke- and tobacco-free environment for students, faculty and staff.

The UCLA tobacco-free policy, implemented 1 1/2 years ago, prohibits the use of cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco and all other tobacco products, as well as electronic cigarettes, on campus and at other sites owned or leased by UCLA. We have appreciated everyone’s cooperation in observing the policy requirements and are pleased that the results have continued to be generally positive since implementation.

UCLA community members should feel comfortable with approaching tobacco users who are not complying with UCLA’s tobacco-free policy to ask them to stop smoking and comply with the campus policy. The University of California has produced several helpful videos that model how to approach tobacco users. These videos can be viewed at: http://healthy.ucla.edu/pod/breathewell/videos

Noncompliance with UCLA’s tobacco-free environment is a violation of UCLA’s code of conduct. However, the focus of policy enforcement efforts remains on education of employees, students and the public about the policy and the availability of resources to assist individuals with cessation of cigarette smoking and other tobacco use. Nicotine is one of the most addicting substances, which is why quitting is extremely difficult. All smokers need our support as they struggle with their addiction and compliance with the tobacco-free policy.

Tobacco users are expected to comply with the policy. Furthermore, they have access to a wide variety of free and low-cost support services, including those provided by health insurance and the California Smokers’ Helpline 1-800-NO-BUTTS, to support quitting efforts.

UCLA is dedicated to the health and well-being of its faculty, staff, students and visitors. Through efforts such as the Healthy Campus Initiative and the tobacco-free policy, UCLA continues to lead the way in providing opportunities to promote a safe and healthy environment for everyone to work, study and live. Please join us in this important effort.

Ong is an associate professor in residence at the David Geffen School of Medicine and co-chair of UCLA’s Tobacco-Free Task Force. Sarna is the acting dean, professor and Lulu Wolf Hassenplug endowed chair at the School of Nursing and co-chair of UCLA’s Tobacco-Free Task Force.

Linda Sarna