UCLA women’s tennis places semifinalist at Jack Kramer Invitational

(Daily Bruin File Photo)

By Will Tamposi

Although four UCLA women’s tennis players competed in the Jack Kramer Invitational this weekend in Rolling Hills Estates, none were crowned champion. While all the Bruins took advantage of the preseason tournament to improve their individual games, no player advanced past the semifinals.

The Jack Kramer Invitational is a tournament that hosts many of the nation’s top-ranked players, but UCLA’s focus for the weekend didn’t have to do with the wins or losses – it was simply about the experience that the girls gained by competing.

“I thought it was a very good (tournament) for the Bruins,” said coach Stella Sampras Webster. “It was a great opportunity for these players individually to just work on their games and also so that we know what to work on in practice.”

For freshman Terri Fleming, who previously had not competed at the collegiate level, playing competitively in front of her coaches was a beneficial experience. By reaching the Round of 16, Fleming played in three matches and displayed veteran-like attributes despite her inexperience.

“It was good to see her compete against other players,” Sampras Webster said. “It was a different atmosphere for the freshmen because now they’re playing for a school and being coached on the court, but I thought Terri executed well and felt very comfortable just playing her own game and her style.”

Sophomore Kelly Shaffer and junior Kyle McPhillips were knocked out of the single-elimination tournament in the first and third rounds respectively, but competing at a high level against other schools is something that the coaches are going to take advantage from watching.

“It’s always good to see them compete against other schools and other players,” Sampras Webster said.

Senior Kaitlin Ray – the tournament’s fifth-ranked player – had the strongest showing for UCLA and was able to reach the semifinals, ultimately losing in 3 sets to LSU’s Joana Vale Costa, who went on the win the final.

The Bruins didn’t win big at the Jack Kramer Invitational, but with goals of having a strong Pac-12 season in the spring and an ultimate goal of repeating as NCAA champions in May, the players won’t leave the tournament empty-handed as they reap the benefits gained from the experience of the tournament.

Compiled by Will Tamposi, Bruin Sports contributor.

Will Tamposi