‘No. 1’ proves to be a double-edged sword for UCLA men’s soccer

So far, the UCLA men’s soccer team’s season has been all about being in first. When the Bruins have scored first, they are 8-0-1. When UCLA has conceded first, the team’s record is 2-4-1.
(Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin)

By Matt Joye

The number one has more or less defined UCLA men’s soccer’s season so far.

To start, the No. 1 national ranking has proven to be ominous for the Bruins (10-4-4, 5-2-2 Pac-12). In the five games this year which UCLA has held the No. 1 ranking, the team is 2-3-3.

This past week, UCLA was riding a four-game win streak as it entered a home stand against Stanford and Cal. But then came that No. 1 ranking, and the Bruins went 0-1-1 against the Cardinal and Bears.

Beyond the strange circumstances with the No. 1 ranking, the Bruins’ play on the field has also hinged on that number. The first goal of each game has seemingly been the make-or-break one for UCLA through 18 matches this year.

“It’s so important to get that first goal, because it gives your whole team confidence, it makes the game easier,” said junior forward Larry Ndjock.

The Bruins are a near-perfect 8-0-1 when scoring goal No. 1 in the game, while they are 2-4-1 when conceding first.

“It’s ideal (to score early goals),” said coach Jorge Salcedo. “The game against Washington (at home) and the game against Oregon State, you know we score early goals and it changes the game for us.”

On Sunday, the game turned in the opposite direction when UCLA allowed the first goal of the game to Cal in the 47th minute.

UCLA goalkeeper Earl Edwards, coincidentally wearing jersey No. 1, dribbled carelessly inside the 18-yard box before delivering a clearance pass, and a Cal player came up and stole it from Edwards to score an empty-net goal.

Salcedo said that initial goal dictated the flow of the game from that point forward. UCLA struggled to come back, eventually losing the game 1-0.

As integral as the first goal has been to UCLA’s success so far, the outcome of the first half has been even more significant for the Bruins.

“I’m not sure if I remember right, but every time we went into the second half with a lead, we won the game,” Ndjock said. “And every time we were behind in the first half, we lost that game.”

Ndjock is almost completely correct. In the eight games where UCLA has won the first half, UCLA is an undefeated 8-0-0. Conversely, when the Bruins have trailed after the first half, they have not won once, going 0-3-0.

“It’s a lot easier going up in the first half, just because you’re in the driver’s seat, … You can wait for counterattacks,” said senior midfielder Leo Stolz.

Ultimately, if the Bruins are to realize their dream of winning the national championship, they are going to have to come to terms with the number one.

Matt Joye | Alumnus
Joye joined the Bruin as a sophomore transfer in 2013 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, softball, men's soccer, women's tennis, track and field and cross country beats.