USAC to look for SOOF reforms that can keep fund viable

By Joseph Vescera

Student groups will receive about $100 less on average from an undergraduate student government fund this fall.

The Undergraduate Students Association Council voted unanimously to allocate the funds at its meeting Tuesday night. The Student Organizations Operational Fund decreased by about $35,000, continuing a trend of decreasing SOOF allocations. Because of this, 206 student groups received about $230 each on average this fall.

The funding drop is the result of increased building maintenance expenses, pension contributions, stipends and benefits. The decrease also stems from the costs of last week’s special election, said USAC President Devin Murphy.

Student groups can use SOOF to pay for retreats, office supplies, advertising and stipends, among other expenses. Groups can apply for SOOF money during fall and winter quarters.

Though the council approved the allocations with little discussion, Murphy said he thinks the fund and its smaller allocations are not working well for student groups.

“Something with SOOF is clearly not working for students, and we need to do something to fix that,” Murphy said.

Last fall, the money in SOOF decreased due to a rise in USAC stipends and an increased number of groups applying for funding, in addition to other student government costs.

About 230 groups applied for money from the fund last fall and received $370 on average. Students who applied in winter last year also saw a decrease in allocations.

Student groups will receive between $112 and $296 from SOOF this year, said USAC Budget Review Director Justine Pascual.

Pascual said she allocated 70 percent of the available SOOF funds this fall and will allocate the remaining 30 percent to groups applying in the winter.

Despite the decreasing allocations, Pascual said about 75 percent of student groups do not spend their entire allocation. She said she plans to work with USAC to study SOOF spending through surveys and to inform groups about their remaining money and any approaching spending deadlines.

“I need to be very persistent with contacting groups and reminding them to spend,” Pascual said. “We are going to give SOOF one last shot (in the current format) to see if we can make it more sustainable and relevant to groups.”

Pascual also said she is working with the Internal Vice President’s Office and the USAC Funding Study Group to discuss possible reforms to SOOF and the future of the fund.

Murphy said he hopes to have recommendations for SOOF reforms to council by the end of the school year.

Compiled by Joseph Vescera, Bruin contributor.

Joseph Vescera