Men’s soccer forwards look to provide stronger bite to Bruins’ attack

Seyi Adekoya’s goal against Washington was a dream come true for the freshman, who wanted to score against his hometown team all season. (Katie Meyers/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Anay Dattawadkar

Seyi Adekoya’s touch failed him as he approached the Oregon State 18-yard box. The ball got away from the freshman forward, bouncing through defenders into the right side of the box.

It seemed like another wasted attack for the Bruins – until junior forward Larry Ndjock pounced on the loose ball and sent it tumbling into the left corner of the net for the match-winner.

“Truthfully, I didn’t see Larry (as I was running downfield). I just took a really heavy touch and didn’t think I was going to get on the end of it and score a goal,” Adekoya said. “Thankfully, Larry was able to get on the end of it and score.”

Three nights earlier, Adekoya played a key role in another match. Playing in his hometown against the University of Washington, the freshman had one thing in mind.

“My goal all season had been to score against Washington,” he said. “I wanted to do it when we played them at home (earlier in the season), and I wanted to score even more in Seattle.”

So when Chase Gasper’s incisive through ball found his feet late in the match against the Huskies, Adekoya knew exactly what to do. Driving the ball into the back of the net was a dream come true for the freshman. It also was enough to secure a victory for UCLA, its second straight over the No. 4-ranked Washington.

Two fortuitous chances, two goals, two wins – and Adekoya was right in the thick of it. It was a positive indicator in many ways for the Bruins, who spent the early half of the season mired in an offensive slump that saw its injury-riddled forward line struggle to score goals.

Now, freshman Abu Danladi, Ndjock, junior Brian Iloski and Adekoya are all healthy for UCLA, and the results have showed it. The Bruins now have a stronger bite to their attack, an aggressiveness that when coupled with their solid back line portends good things for the team as the postseason nears.

“(Having everyone healthy) is fantastic. Our coach always talks about having a high-octane offense, and our (target) is fifty goals on the year,” Adekoya said. “(Scoring) was hard for us early on, but now it’s just coming easier for us as we go on.”

The Bruins certainly hope Adekoya and his fellow forwards can keep their scoring boots on.

A missed opportunity, a fortuitous bounce and another Bruin victory.

Anay Dattawadkar