The pLAces you’ll go: Amoeba Music

Amoeba Music on Sunset Boulevard packs thousands of CDs, vinyl records, movies and more to create a hip snapshot of the Hollywood music scene.
(Maryrose Kulick/Daily Bruin)

By Maryrose Kulick

There are more than 500 square miles of city surrounding UCLA’s campus, which takes up a minuscule fraction of that mileage. For such a big place, Los Angeles at times seems impossible to navigate. But don’t let size steer you away from your sense of adventure and curiosity. Each week this quarter, follow columnist Maryrose Kulick as she takes you to a new and affordable L.A. destination, to help you explore the city you call home.

As I flip through seemingly endless stacks of music albums, a man nearby wearing a red leather jacket and sparkly blue eye shadow rocks out to the guitar chords emanating from his headphones.

He felt it – the vibe that attracts nearly every type of music enthusiast from punk rockers to hip-hoppers into Amoeba Music on Sunset Boulevard, one of the largest independent music stores in the world. The store is a hip snapshot of the prominent Hollywood music scene and a must on any Los Angeles excursion list. Aren’t you tired of sitting on your bed listening to the same Pandora study playlist over and over?

In the age of digital downloads, it’s difficult to visualize how much variety there is in the music world, and it’s especially difficult to find stores with as wide a selection as Amoeba has. In practically the most literal sense of the metaphor, this store is an ocean of CDs, vinyl records and even DVDs. I don’t necessarily consider myself a huge music buff, but this store has opened my eyes to how much I’m missing as far as musical knowledge goes.

I’ll be honest and say I’m always a bit overwhelmed when entering this store. There are at least 10 rows of used rock music CDs that amount to what must be hundreds of albums, as well as an entire room full of classics and oldies – and that’s not even half of it. There are vinyls and discs of hiphop, folk, experimental, soul, reggae, comedy, bluegrass, Celtic music, and the list just keeps going. It’s like running through a really intricate maze, but a fun one. Colorful band posters across every genre cover the tall walls, and energetic melodies fill my ears as I browse through the aisles.

Amoeba opened in 2001 in Los Angeles and boasts having nearly everything to offer a music fan, even rarities. If looking for something specific, the staff is quite friendly and well qualified to guide you to the CD or genre you are looking for. And even if they don’t have something – which is unlikely given the size of this place – they can order it.

However, when I entered the store for the first time, I didn’t really have anything specific in mind to buy, so I took the opportunity to do some spontaneous hunting. Throughout the store, iPads are set up with playlists that compile most of the store’s music selections. Find one, hit shuffle and listen to something completely new.

But even just aimlessly browsing through the used CDs or vinyls can have its rewards. After shuffling through stacks of discs while nodding my head along with the background beat, I ended up going home with the Shins and a Billy Joel album for only about $10 – a mighty fine deal, in my opinion.

If you don’t necessarily want or need new music, Amoeba also sells band T-shirts galore, posters, movies and TV shows. Got too many CDs in your collection? You can sell or trade them directly to the store.

Now, going all the way to Sunset Boulevard for a music store might seem a little silly if you only spend half an hour looking for music that you can still find and listen to online. But Amoeba offers plenty of alternate avenues for a Hollywood music experience. You’ll meet passionate people like the man with blue eye shadow or perhaps some aspiring rock stars looking for inspiration. At Amoeba, you even have the opportunity to attend some free in-store concerts. Yes, you read correctly. Free concerts.

Every Friday, Amoeba hosts a DJ series. This Friday night will feature Zernell and Zernell Jr. at 8 p.m. On Tuesday, Regulo Caro will perform and afterward will be signing his new album, “Senzu-Rah.” Keep checking Amoeba’s website for more upcoming shows, also happening in its San Francisco and Berkeley locations.

No matter your taste, Amoeba has something to offer just about everyone and holds a vast range of opportunities for exploration in all your musical endeavors.

Maryrose Kulick