Linebacker Eric Kendricks named quarterfinalist for Lott IMPACT Trophy

By Kevin Bowman

The Lott IMPACT Trophy may be heading to Westwood for a second consecutive year.

After former UCLA outside linebacker Anthony Barr was the recipient of the award last season, redshirt senior inside linebacker Eric Kendricks was announced as a quarterfinalist for this year’s trophy Wednesday. The Lott IMPACT Trophy is awarded to the defensive player who best represents both character and performance.

Kendricks was one of 20 players to make the cut and one of seven Pac-12 players on the list. The group of 20 will be shrunk to eight semi-finalists on Nov. 11, and on Dec. 14, the four finalists will attend a ceremony at Newport Beach where the winner will be announced.

The winning player’s school will receive a $25,000 donation to its general scholarship fund from the Pacific Club IMPACT Foundation. The foundation will donate $5,000 to the scholarship funds of the runners-up’s universities.

Kendricks has been named the Lott IMPACT Player of the Week twice this season in recognition of his performances against Virginia and Arizona State. Notre Dame linebacker Jaylon Smith and Washington defensive end Hau’oli Kikaha have also been named player of the week twice.

Kendricks’ 77 total tackles ranks No. 13 in the nation. He also has four tackles for loss, one sack, one interception, one defensive touchdown, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery this season.

English de-commits

Three-star 2015 defensive tackle recruit Bryce English de-committed from UCLA Tuesday, multiple recruiting services reported.

English initially committed to UCLA July 21, but he took an unofficial visit to Arkansas Saturday and backed off his commitment three days later. According to Rivals.com, English now has interest in Arizona State, Arkansas, TCU and Kansas.

Despite the loss of a defensive line commit, UCLA still has verbal commitments from four-star defensive ends Cassius Peat and Rick Wade.

Compiled by Kevin Bowman, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Kevin Bowman | Alumnus