GSA forum to allow student input on diversity vice chancellor position

GSA Forum Wednesday 5:30 p.m. Ackerman Union Viewpoint Lounge

By Julia Raven

Students who want to give input on the vice chancellor for equity, diversity and inclusion position can talk with members of a search committee Wednesday at the graduate student government forum.

At the Graduate Students Association meeting, which will be its first of the year, forum members will also examine procedures for filling the vice president of internal affairs officer position. The forum will take place in the Ackerman Union Global Viewpoint Lounge at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Students can attend to give their input on the vice chancellor position and to discuss the qualities and qualifications they want to see in the new administrator. They will also be able to talk about priorities the vice chancellor should address and suggest questions for search committee members to ask candidates.

Carole Goldberg, vice chancellor for academic personnel and chair of the search committee, will attend the meeting along with other search advisory committee members, such as GSA Vice President of Academic Affairs Ivy Onyeador.

UCLA announced the position of vice chancellor for equity, diversity and inclusion last December. The vice chancellor will report to Chancellor Gene Block about various campus issues and will work to promote an inclusive environment.

In addition to the discussion on the vice chancellor for equity, diversity and inclusion, GSA will review procedures for electing a new vice president of internal affairs.

Former Vice President of Internal Affairs Hope McCoy resigned from her position on Sept. 18 to co-author a book with other students and conduct research at Lomonosov Moscow State University in Russia.

McCoy’s resignation left an open spot among the GSA officers, which the forum may vote to fill at its second meeting on Nov. 12.

GSA members plan to review their constitution to ensure no bylaws are broken during the election process and will outline the process of election for McCoy’s position at the meeting.

Compiled by Julia Raven, Bruin senior staff.

Julia Raven