Court rules in favor of UC in conference center construction lawsuit

The Meyer and Renee Luskin Conference and Guest Center (right) is expected to open on campus in summer 2016. A judge ruled on a 2012 lawsuit against the UC Regents that focused on the center. (Austin Yu/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Sam Hoff

A Los Angeles County Superior Court judge has ruled in favor of the University of California in a lawsuit challenging the construction of the Meyer and Renee Luskin Conference and Guest Center.

The lawsuit, filed in 2012 by neighborhood nonprofit organization Save Westwood Village, alleged that UCLA officials did not analyze alternatives to the project before approving it and that the center would violate zoning laws and present unfair business to local hotels.

The conference center, which has been under construction for more than a year, is set to open in summer 2016. It will include 25,000 square feet of meeting space, 250 guest rooms and a new parking garage with 125 parking spaces.

“The Court finds that substantial evidence supports (the) Regents’ cumulative impact analysis and conclusions,” Judge Thomas I. McKnew Jr. said in the tentative order Friday.

UCLA spokesman Steve Ritea said in an email statement that both parties had a chance to review the decision and present oral arguments Tuesday. After several hours, McKnew chose to adopt the document as his final ruling, Ritea added.

Laura Lake, co-president of Save Westwood Village, said the group will meet next week and review the case.

“In my experience, (lawsuits from) community organizations lose at the trial level and prevail at the appellate level, so by no means are we done,” she said.

Ritea said the court will release a final version of the decision soon.

Read the order below.

Compiled by Sam Hoff, Bruin senior staff.

Sam Hoff | Alumnus