USAC candidate Allan Kew sees lack of prior involvement as strength

Allan Kew, a fourth-year political science student, is running for the transfer student representative position. (Brandon Choe/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Joseph Vescera

Allan Kew has felt a sense of civic responsibility since he was a child.

It began years ago, when he read books with and listened to stories from his grandfather about the defining moments of the 20th century. It was in these moments, when Kew’s grandfather taught him the value of equality, representation and government, that Kew’s passion was kindled.

“Being civically engaged has always been a very important part of my life,” Kew said. “There is something gratifying about being involved in organizations or groups that have the ability to help people.”

This passion for engagement and government is what led Kew, a transfer student from Diablo Valley College in Pleasant Hill, to run for the newly created transfer student representative seat on the Undergraduate Students Association Council in his first weeks at UCLA.

The third-year political science student said he learned about this week’s special election through an article in the Daily Bruin and was immediately interested in running for the transfer student representative position even though he had just transferred to UCLA.

Beth Furstenthal, Kew’s high school English teacher and mentor, said she is not surprised that Kew is trying to get involved in his new school early on.

“It’s very typical of Allan to get involved so quickly, since he hates to let a good opportunity pass him by,” Furstenthal said.

In high school, Furstenthal said Kew learned a lot from his involvement in drama productions and Model United Nations.

“Allan learned to be a great consensus builder and listener, but I’ve never seen him be afraid to speak his mind,” Furstenthal said.

As the only candidate in the election without prior involvement with a USAC office or campaigning, Kew sees his lack of experience within UCLA and USAC as a strength. Still, he admits he has a lot to learn about the way the council operates.

“Because of my newness, I’ll have to have an open mind to help from wherever, which I think can open up a lot of doors for the position by getting it involved with a diverse group of students and organizations,” Kew said.

If elected, Kew hopes to create a closer-knit transfer community while establishing connections between transfer student organizations and USAC through regular town hall meetings and by reaching out to student groups. He also hopes to invest in resources that directly help transfer students, like creating a transfer student center on campus.

BMC_2822.jpg
Allan Kew (Brandon Choe/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Kew said he thinks he is a strong candidate because of his vivacity and passion for the job, and that a lot of the issues his position will deal with will affect him as much as his fellow transfers. He added that he thinks he has the enthusiasm needed to tailor the position to maximize its benefits for transfer students.

“A lot of issues for the transfer representative are going to be new, so it’s going to take a ton of energy to find solutions for the first time and put them into action,” Kew said. “But it also gives whoever holds the position a unique chance to form an office directly around the needs of the community.”

Shyam Maharaj, a fourth-year philosophy and religion student and Kew’s campaign manager, said Kew’s lack of group or slate affiliations and his ability to think outside the box are his greatest strengths as a candidate.

However, Maharaj said the toughest part of Kew’s campaign and involvement in USAC will be getting to know the network of student groups and organizations around campus.

“Allan has so much energy,” he said. “And he’s going to need all of it to break into this network and establish relationships that are needed to do the job and be successful.”

Joseph Vescera