After drought, 3 sacks mark huge leap for UCLA football

Redshirt senior defensive end Owamagbe Odighizuwa sacks Cal sophomore quarterback Jared Goff (left) early in the first quarter of UCLA’s 36-34 victory over Cal. The Bruins finished the day with three sacks – just four shy of their season total heading into Saturday.
(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Kevin Bowman

BERKELEY — Coming into Saturday’s game, the story lines for UCLA centered on ending losing streaks – both its two straight losses to Utah and Oregon and its seven consecutive losses at Cal’s Memorial Stadium.

But just minutes into the first quarter, long before the Bruins snapped those streaks, they ended a different drought.

They sacked an opposing quarterback.

What was an exceedingly regular occurrence a year ago has become a rarity this season, as UCLA registered no sacks last week against Oregon, totaling just seven through its first six games. In UCLA’s 36-34 victory over Cal Saturday, the Bruins had three.

Three sacks is not the most impressive statistic, especially considering the 10 sacks UCLA surrendered to Utah two weeks ago, but for the Bruins, it was a huge leap in the right direction. And beyond just the plays in which UCLA brought Cal quarterback Jared Goff down, the presence UCLA had in the backfield all day was also encouraging enough.

“I was like, ‘Man, those guys are really effective,’ because I can see Jared Goff kinda scrambling,” said sophomore outside linebacker Myles Jack of the defensive line’s pressure. “He was either getting touched or there was somebody near him pretty much every play.”

Schematically, the Bruins switched things up along the defensive front.

Redshirt senior defensive end Owamagbe Odighizuwa, who generally lines up on the outside of the defensive line, shifted inward to the three-technique position to match up against the opposing offensive guard.

Playing in the same spot as former UCLA defensive end Cassius Marsh played last season, Odighizuwa’s performance was reminiscent of Marsh last year, using his strength to fill the gaps and collapse the pocket, while also being able to speed rush around the offensive lineman as well.

Beyond putting Odighizuwa, who finished with one sack, in a better position to excel, the shift inside allowed sophomore defensive end Takkarist McKinley to slide into Odighizuwa’s vacated spot on the outside.

With McKinley, Odighizuwa and sophomore outside linebacker Deon Hollins all rushing the passer, the Bruins created havoc in the backfield, forcing Goff to rush some throws or try to scramble.

“Just trying to get our four best pass rushers on the field,” said defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich of the decision to move Odighizuwa inside. “At the end of the day, that’s what you’re trying to do – get the best 11.”

McKinley’s presence is a welcome addition for the Bruins. He transferred to UCLA from Contra Costa College just over a month ago and was immediately eligible. At 6 feet 4 inches and capable of running a sub-11 second 100-meter dash, McKinley provides the Bruins with another capable speed rusher to pair with Hollins.

After three games of limited action on defense for McKinley, coach Jim Mora estimated the defensive end played around 50 or 60 plays Saturday. And although the stat sheet will only show he had 1.5 tackles and one quarterback hurry, McKinley’s impact, one Mora said he expects will expand, was very noticeable.

“I thought that the quarterback felt him. He can run. He’s explosive, he’s got a great inside move,” Mora said. “He’s a great kid and a big-time addition to this team.”

After totaling 32 sacks a year ago behind the likes of Marsh and former Bruin outside linebacker Anthony Barr, UCLA came into Saturday’s game with the 12th fewest sacks in the nation. Without Marsh and Barr, and with a new defensive coordinator with a different scheme, the Bruins’ defensive struggles were exacerbated by the lack of a pass rush.

“I think we do miss guys like AB and Cassius, but we cant hang onto that,” Mora said. “We gotta move on, and we gotta find someone that can reach that level.”

After Saturday’s win, the Bruins missed Barr and Marsh a little less.

Kevin Bowman | Alumnus