Men’s soccer improves defense after goal-setting team meeting

Junior defender Javan Torre is part of a UCLA defense that is No. 10 in the country in goals allowed per game (0.5). Torre said that they key to the Bruins’ standout play has been collectively buying in to certain team goals.(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Matt Joye

The then-No. 1 UCLA men’s soccer team’s come-from-ahead loss to the unseeded Connecticut Huskies in last December’s NCAA Tournament still has a residual effect on this year’s team. Not an irremediable pain, but rather an indelible reminder to never allow that situation to happen again.

The season-ending loss – which included the UCLA defense failing to protect a 2-0 first-half lead – led to a team meeting, and the establishment of a set of defensive goals for this season, said coach Jorge Salcedo. It is this set of goals, Salcedo said, that has helped UCLA emerge as one of the best defenses in college soccer this year.

“It’s something that I feel has been helpful in our approach,” Salcedo said.

Specifically, some of the statistical goals he set for his team were a certain number of shutouts and a limit on goals allowed for the season – in addition to reiterating the importance of protecting leads.

“You know, there’re some historical data in men’s soccer that if you allow less than 18 goals a season, you have a very good chance of having a good run in the tournament,” Salcedo said.

So far this season, the No. 2 Bruins (6-2-2) are on pace to accomplish that goal. The UCLA defense has allowed five goals in its first 10 games, which equates to the 10th-best goals-against average in the nation (0.5 goals allowed per game). They have also pitched six shutouts in the season so far, compared to seven in 20 games last year.

What’s more: the group hasn’t surrendered a lead one time this season.

“I think what’s made us successful (is a) collective understanding – buying into the group, versus being individually motivated” said junior defender Javan Torre.

Torre added that the team has unified behind these established and shared goals, which Salcedo and the UCLA coaching staff reiterate to the players almost daily.

“Before games, we remind them of those goals, we remind them of what the tangible goals-against number is, and it’s been great to see the response,” Salcedo said.

With those team goals constantly echoed before games, it comes as no surprise that redshirt senior goalkeeper Earl Edwards said “preparation” has been the key to UCLA’s defensive revitalization this year.

“Our coaches give us good scouting reports leading into each game,” Edwards said. “My back four and D-mid do a really good job of just applying themselves, and they play for the guy next to each other.”

Though the Bruins have done very well in accomplishing some of their team goals thus far – Salcedo said they have exceeded some of them at this point – they know all too well that they need to maintain their focus and not surrender the leads they have established.

“We’ve been doing well, but we have to keep doing it,” Torre said.

Matt Joye | Alumnus
Joye joined the Bruin as a sophomore transfer in 2013 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, softball, men's soccer, women's tennis, track and field and cross country beats.