Meeting to collect student input on diversity vice chancellor position

Meeting Details
Monday, Oct. 6
1-2 p.m.
Covel Commons Grand Horizon Room

By amanda schallert

Students who want to weigh in on the appointment of a new diversity-related vice chancellor can meet with the position’s search committee on campus next week, officials announced in an email to students Monday.

The hourlong meeting will take place from 1-2 p.m. on Oct. 6 in the Covel Commons Grand Horizon Room. Chancellor Gene Block announced the creation of the vice chancellor for diversity, equity and inclusion position in early December.

The search committee, which formed in June, is composed of 15 people, including administrators, faculty members and two UCLA students. Carole Goldberg, vice chancellor for academic personnel, chairs the committee.

In the email Monday, Goldberg asked for students to consider several topics before coming to the meeting, including the qualities they hope to see in the new vice chancellor, issues they think the vice chancellor should prioritize and questions for the position’s candidates.

The new vice chancellor will report directly to Block and work to make UCLA more inclusive. Officials created the position after UCLA released the Moreno report, which found the university’s policies and procedures for addressing racial discrimination reports among faculty to be inadequate.

Students can RSVP for the event by replying to the announcement email at [email protected]. If students cannot attend but still want to contribute, they can send confidential emails to [email protected].

Compiled by Amanda Schallert, Bruin senior staff.

amanda schallert