UCLA alumnus releases remix of his song ‘Two,’ aims to create raw music

UCLA alumnus Steve Malone released a remix of the song “Two” from his independently released album, “Music.” (Courtesy of Steve Malone)

By Christina Vo

Without question, many music producers and artists will edit their audio. UCLA alumnus Steve Malone chose a different approach and distributed his own independent album, unaltered by audio processing technology, and said that raw and organic music is “timeless.”

“There’s something about music to me that isn’t supposed to be perfect,” Malone said. “I think some of the electronic devices and ways in creating music masters it as such a level of perfection that it doesn’t capture what’s gritty and what’s raw.”

Malone’s choice to record music without processing it is reflected in his independently released soul album, “Music,” and in his recent remix release of one of the album’s songs, “Two.”

The “Two” remix includes a live recording of instruments like drums and bass guitar, along with rap verses by Nytmare, Malone’s cousin and member of the hip-hop group LEL Brothas.

“(The remix) was something natural that came out of the meeting of the minds between two people with very different styles who love music, because I’m not a rapper and (Nytmare) is not very much of a singer,” Malone said.

The semiautobiographical album, “Music,” follows much of Malone’s life experiences from his time at the University of Iowa’s Henry B. Tippie School of Management to the present. Preferring an organic approach, Malone’s producer Mike West used only recording software and no other computer programs to record Malone singing live with a backing band.

“Organic means (being) true to the instruments and vocals being used. For me, it’s all about the authenticity of the sound,” Malone said. “I’m all for using technology to mix and master songs, but I just believe that the modifications should reflect the true range of the instruments and singers involved.”

However, Malone said not using processing technology comes with its difficulties. Since he uses no computer programs except for the recording software, he said the process may make the artist feel like there are fewer tools at his or her disposal.

“With an organic approach, it may be difficult to create something that’s different,” Malone said. “I learned that you get the best result when you’re attentive to the (song’s) mood and know how to sing how the song makes you feel.”

Malone took a more unconventional path in producing his music by releasing his album independently. He used his marketing experience learned from the Henry B. Tippie School of Management to secure copyrights, distribute his album through iTunes and CD Baby and publicize the CD.

Without a record label and distributor, Malone promoted his music through live performances, word of mouth, social media and music distributors like SoundCloud and CD Baby. He has held one live performance at his daughter’s school but is preparing for more performances in the next half year to expand his local audience.

He found most of his success globally by promoting his music through the Internet, garnering more than 1,200 likes on Facebook and 4,000 downloads. Malone said he is surprised to have Facebook followers from places outside of the U.S., like Bangladesh.

West said he thinks Malone has the ability to reach out to audiences because his music carries messages that express universal emotions and experiences.

“(Malone’s) music is for your soul,” Nytmare said. “Listening to (Malone) makes you say, ‘This is how I feel,’ not the traditional ‘this is what I want.'”

Malone is currently working with West on holding live performances in Lawrence, Kan., where Malone now lives. He has already started working on his second album, which he hopes to release in 2015.

“Regardless of how much work I have to do for releasing my music, it’s never burdensome,” Malone said. “I’ve always wanted to be someone – regardless of what you think of my talent and of my songs – that approaches (music) from a place of authenticity.”

Christina Vo