Beat writers’ game day predictions: UCLA v. Virginia

By Kevin Bowman, Chris Kalra, and Jordan Lee

Prior to each UCLA football game, the Daily Bruin football beat writers will predict the score of the upcoming UCLA game, and give a short reasoning behind their prediction. Starting next week, to keep track of how far off each writer’s predictions are from reality, there will be a “prediction differential,” showing the cumulative difference between the writer’s predicted score differential and that of the game’s actual result.

Kevin Bowman’s score prediction:

UCLA: 48

Virginia: 13

Score differential: +35

The Bruin offense has been facing its own defense in practice, which is no easy task, so when let loose against a seemingly less-talented defense at Virginia, UCLA should have no trouble scoring. Though he faces a capable and experienced secondary, redshirt junior quarterback Brett Hundley should start off his Heisman campaign with a bang. Defensively, UCLA should shut down Virginia’s offense pretty easily. With a strong front line, a versatile group of linebackers and a dominant secondary, the Cavaliers should struggle to move the ball effectively and consistently.

Chris Kalra’s score prediction:

UCLA: 38

Virginia: 13

Score differential: +25

UCLA’s defense is underrated. At Saturday’s end, make that a “was underrated.” Expect the Bruins’ defense to star against Virginia’s inept offense. The Bruins should put this game away by the middle of the third quarter. Regardless, it should be interesting to see how UCLA’s offense, specifically its passing game, fares against Virginia’s talented secondary. How improved is redshirt junior quarterback Brett Hundley and his receiving corps? This will be a good test to find out.

Jordan Lee’s score prediction:

UCLA: 41

Virginia: 13

Score differential: +28

Redshirt junior quarterback Brett Hundley and crew should score early and often, and have this thing wrapped up by halftime. Virginia running backs senior Kevin Parks and sophomore Taquan Mizzell are good enough to get the Cavaliers on the board, but that’s about it as the Bruins should win in a blowout.

What’s your UCLA football gameday score prediction? Share it below in the comments.

Compiled by Kevin Bowman, Chris Kalra and Jordan Lee, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Kevin Bowman | Alumnus
Chris Kalra | Alumnus
Kalra joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2011 and contributed until 2014. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2013-2014 academic year and spent time on the football, women's basketball, men's soccer and beach volleyball beats.
Jordan Lee | Alumnus
Lee joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2011 and contributed until he graduated in 2011. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2013-2014 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, softball and women's volleyball beats.