Bruin heads fundraising event for cancer research

Brad Miller and Katherine Storen shaved each other’s heads Friday at the St. Baldrick’s event at UCLA.
(Angie Wang/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Nikki Somani

Aug. 25, 2014 1:31 a.m.

MacGuinness Huntley smiled as locks of his hair fell to the ground around him in front of UCLA Medical Plaza Friday afternoon.

The second-year economics student at Pasadena City College wanted to participate in Mattel Children’s Hospital‘s head-shaving event to make a donation to cancer research. For Huntley, the cause was personal. His mother was diagnosed with breast cancer when he was a freshman in high school.

“You know those kids who go to the mall or play on sports teams?” Huntley said. “I went home and checked on my mom.”

Mattel Children’s Hospital UCLA partnered with St. Baldrick’s Foundation, a charity organization that raises money for cancer research, to host the head-shaving fundraiser.

Dozens of volunteers who shaved their heads collected donations from sponsors, including friends and family, prior to Friday. Participants raised about $3,500 in total for childhood cancer research, said Anant Randhawa, a fourth-year neuroscience student who spearheaded the fundraiser.

The fundraiser also featured live music from Musicians on Call, Peet’s Coffee & Tea beverages for $1 and wristbands and pins to purchase.

Randhawa said he wanted to shave his own head for cancer to show support for individuals who have lost their hair because of cancer treatments. After reading about St. Baldrick’s foundation online, he said he wanted to bring the event to UCLA so other students could get involved.

Randhawa put off his first year at UCLA to spend time with his grandmother in India, who was diagnosed with cancer. He said he wanted to hold the event on Aug. 22 to honor the three-year anniversary of his grandmother’s death.

“To some people, (losing hair because of cancer) looks odd. The volunteers want to show that it’s okay – it’s a disease that (individuals can) overcome over time,” Randhawa said.

Dr. Theodore Moore, professor of pediatrics and chief of the division of pediatric hematology and oncology at Mattel and one of the attendees of the event, said the effort was completely student-initiated.

“It’s incredible all the grassroots efforts people have to try to make a difference in childhood cancer,” Moore said. “This is an effort that’s near and dear to our hearts.”

One volunteer, William Mazariegos, came to the event from the South Bay. He said he had been growing out his hair for five years.

Mazariegos said he does not know any friends or family who have cancer, but he wanted to participate because he thinks it is important to show support for individuals battling cancer.

“I think I’m a good example to show you don’t have to be personally touched (by cancer) to spread awareness,” he said. “Now all of my friends and family know what I’m doing and why I’m doing it.”

Randhawa said his main goal for the event was to encourage other students on campus to be involved in the cause.

“It’s not about the money at the end,” Randhawa said. “Yes, that’s important for research, but it’s about having people participate in this and really put their heart into it.”

Nikki Somani