UCLA football ranks No. 7 in AP Top 25 preseason poll

By Chris Kalra

UCLA football starts the season ranked No. 7 in the country in the preseason college football AP Top 25 poll, which was released Sunday morning.

The preseason ranking is the Bruins’ highest since the 1998 season, when they reached as high as No. 2, and finished No. 8 overall. UCLA’s No. 7 ranking is also its highest in the AP poll since they were ranked that high in Week 10 of the 2005 season.

In coach Jim Mora’s three years at the helm, the Bruins have started the season ranked unranked (2012), No. 21 (2013) and now No. 7.

Five other Pac-12 schools were ranked in the preseason poll: Oregon (No. 3), Stanford (No. 11), USC (No. 15), Arizona State (No. 19) and Washington (No. 25).

UCLA is scheduled to play all five of those teams during the regular season this year.

Compiled by Chris Kalra, Bruin Sports senior staff

Chris Kalra | Alumnus
Kalra joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2011 and contributed until 2014. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2013-2014 academic year and spent time on the football, women's basketball, men's soccer and beach volleyball beats.