Concert Review: HAIM

(Leyla Kumble/Daily Bruin)

By Daily Bruin

The lights dimmed and the crowd built its dull murmur into loud cheering as Alana, Este and Danielle Haim skipped and jumped onto the stage full of energy.

The three sisters of the American pop rock band HAIM adhered to their famous aesthetics: Este, the girly, outspoken one, wore a leather skirt and crop top; Danielle, the quiet tomboy, had on skinny jeans and a vintage band T-shirt; and Alana, the baby, rocked her denim cutoffs with a shirt emblazoned with “Los Angeles” on the chest.

Este Haim explained to the audience before performing why the Aug. 8 show at the Wiltern in Los Angeles, in particular, was so important to them.

“We are from the Valley,” she said. “We have been on tour for two years. This is our homecoming trip.”

The group’s loyal fans from Los Angeles did the band from Valley Village proud, selling out both of the shows at The Wiltern within one hour of going on sale.

In talking about performing a show at home rather than abroad, Este Haim explained how their level of comfort on stage would lead to different dynamics between the band and the audience.

“When we are home, we have jam sessions and our friends sit on our floor and we jam with them,” Este Haim said.

The audience jammed with the band as they appeased the rabid fans with its hit “If I Could Change Your Mind” and a cover of Fleetwood Mac’s “Oh Well,” which HAIM has frequently performed at its live shows.

The sisters interspersed the songs with lengthy bouts of shredding on their guitars and coordinated head banging. The lights flashed on and off, and the room transformed into a hard rock concert with the audience nodding their heads in unison. The musical assault juxtaposed the band’s sensitive and emotional lyrics.

The girls have gotten recognition for their beauty, but when performing, they showed they also have great game when it comes to playing rock songs, proving the genre has no gender restrictions.

As the band got deeper in the set, they spoke less but showed a passionate enthusiasm in every song equally as the audience became more spellbound. The audience swayed to the ballad “Honey and I,” and screamed as Alana Haim gyrated to “My Song 5,” a song which was a collaboration with A$AP Ferg.

In one of the more tender moments in the set, the audience quieted when the spotlight fell on Danielle Haim as she softly sang “Running If You Call My Name.” In the hallowed Wiltern, her voice sounded almost angelic, the echo creating the powerful effect of making her voice sound close enough to feel as if you were alone with her in a small room, but far enough to give it the depth of a choir.

However, the band didn’t lose its energy and exuberance after the somber piece.

Este Haim followed the song, screaming, “It’s Friday night, you wanna rage, right?”

She continued by singing an impromptu phrase of 2pac’s “California Love” which carried into “Don’t Save Me” and “Forever” to finish the set.

In the final phrases of “Forever,” white confetti shot down from the ceiling and surprised the audience. In that moment, the band was getting the music and the vibe in the room just right, mimicking the song lyrics, “Just another reason to get it right.”

HAIM disappeared from the stage amidst the cloud of confetti and came back for its encore stronger than ever, switching their instruments, with Danielle notably moving from lead guitar to drums to cover Beyoncé’s “XO.”

The band’s family dynamic tied the show together: throughout the night, the Haim sisters subtly emulated each other’s mannerisms, played off of each others’ riffs and took turns with vocals, but still managed to retain their own originality.

Fittingly, the girls ended the show highlighting their close sisterhood, as they each played their own drum from a matching set without accompaniment in perfect coordination, with passion and thinly disguised talent.

The band didn’t have much stage banter or communication with the audience. However, they performed with so much energy and earnestness that the audience felt involved and accepted into their closest circle, making the large theater feel like a family room.

As the night progressed, everyone in the audience could feel like they were a part of the family band.

– Leyla Kumble

Email Kumble at [email protected].

Daily Bruin