Second Take: Marvel’s ‘Avengers NOW!’ introduces more inclusive comic book cast

Marvel has announced plans to release a new series of comics called “Avengers NOW!,” including an installment of books for the Big Three. In this new series, the Big Three went through character changes, such as the Falcon replacing Captain America.
(Marvel Comics)

By Savannah Tate

July 28, 2014 12:00 a.m.

The Big Three of Marvel Comics underwent a big change that could make the comic book community more inclusive as a whole.

Earlier this month, Marvel officially announced “Avengers NOW!,” an upcoming installment of books for the Big Three – Captain America, Iron Man and Thor – as well as several new series for other “Avengers” characters. Perhaps the most surprising news: Marvel changed two core characters of the Big Three. Sam Wilson, the Falcon, will take over for Steve Rogers as Captain America while a mystery woman will take over as Thor.

The major changes to Thor and Captain America will be explained in “Thor #1” and “All-New Captain America #1,” available in fall. From what Marvel has revealed thus far, the updates will happen organically as a result of events from previous series.

Wilson, as Rogers’ longtime friend, will assume the duties of superhero because Rogers can no longer do so. The new Thor, though unspecified, is also related to the god of thunder and will continue in his place as he wrestles with the outcome of the “Original Sin” storyline.

Because this change occurs naturally with the progression of each series, the update seems simple enough. It follows the superhero trope of replacing old characters with new ones under the same superhero guise. Wilson will follow a line of previously white superheroes that have been replaced with men of color, such as Miles Morales, a teenager of black and Hispanic descent who took over for Peter Parker as Spider-Man, and John Stewart, a black man who took over for Hal Jordan as Green Lantern.

Nevertheless, these updates had no pomp and circumstance. Sure, a man of color had assumed the role of a popular superhero, but the superhero formula allows for such alterations. These men were simply deemed right for the job.

Concerning Wilson, I appreciate the idea that a black man can epitomize America without it being presented as a big deal. If Marvel had gone out of its way to alter Captain America’s race, the change may have appeared more as a self-serving display of diversity. And although I still root for a woman of color to assume the role of Captain America, that installment may have to come later as the hero’s story progresses.

Thor’s change, while also an organic occurrence, presents a more interesting adjustment. It marks the first time a woman has taken over for a popular male superhero, let alone one of Marvel’s Big Three. Although her costume is still unnecessarily sexualized, I appreciate that Marvel did not change her name to a silly title, such as “Lady Thor.” By not drawing a distinction, the company suggests that a woman may take on the role of a superhero without having to change the identity of that hero simply because of her gender.

Furthermore, the place of female characters in comics has been generally improving with new Marvel titles, such as “Elektra,” “Captain Marvel,” “Black Widow,” “She-Hulk,” “Ms. Marvel” and an all-female “X-Men” released in the last few years. DC Comics’ Batgirl reboot also features a stylish yet practical new getup for Barbara Gordon – a far cry from the hypersexualized costumes of other heroines.

This update also reflects the importance of gender representation by creating a more inclusive environment for boys and girls alike to appreciate superhero comics and toys. Perhaps, as both genders come to enjoy superheroes, the rigid separation between toys for boys and girls will begin to break down. Boys may also become more accepting of female comic book characters and more inviting of girls who would like to share the comic book experience.

Hopefully, the general rise in inclusivity in the comic book world will translate to the superhero movies that dominate the summer box office. Because the sheer number of these movies only seems to increase with time, I would like to see a female-led superhero movie, or even one with a more diverse cast, released in the next few years.

Diversity in these movies should not arise because studios feel the need to meet a quota – having a variety of characters enriches the kinds of stories films can tell. With a little more diversity, we may observe a broader range of stories, not simply that of the misunderstood, white, male orphan with astonishing powers. Sorry, Spidey and Batman.

– Savannah Tate

Savannah Tate