UCLA earns second-most votes as Pac-12 favorite at football media day

By Kevin Bowman

After two consecutive league titles for Stanford, the Cardinal’s run of Pac-12 supremacy will come to an end in 2014, or so predicted the media that attended the first day of Pac-12 Football Media Day on Wednesday.

Of 39 voters, 24 selected Oregon as the favorite to win the 2014 Pac-12 title, the fourth time in the last five years that the Ducks have been chosen to win the conference. Oregon won twice in the previous four years.

While not the favorite to win the Pac-12 title, UCLA still earned its fair share of praise from the voters, garnering 13 votes, the second-most among all teams. Stanford and USC each received one vote.

The media’s pick has been correct for 11 of the past 14 seasons. The NCAA season kicks off on Aug. 28 for Pac-12 teams, but fans won’t learn whether the media picked correctly until Dec. 5, when the Pac-12 championship game takes place at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara.

Pac-12 Football Media Day continues Thursday, when UCLA will be represented by coach Jim Mora, redshirt junior quarterback Brett Hundley and redshirt senior inside linebacker Eric Kendricks.

Compiled by Kevin Bowman, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Kevin Bowman | Alumnus