Two Bruin linebackers named to Lombardi, Butkus Award watch lists

UCLA sophomore linebacker Myles Jack (center) was named on the watch lists for the Rotary Lombardi Award and the Butkus Award on Monday along with redshirt senior Eric Kendricks. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Daily Bruin

After finding themselves on a slew of lists last week, UCLA linebackers Myles Jack and Eric Kendricks were named to two more award watch lists Monday morning.

Jack, a sophomore, and Kendricks, a redshirt senior, were both named to the Rotary Lombardi Award and the Butkus Award watch lists, making Jack’s name featured on five award watch lists and Kendricks’ on four.

The Rotary Lombardi Award, featuring 123 players on its watch list, recognizes the nation’s best players in the trenches, including defensive linemen, offensive linemen and linebackers. Former UCLA outside linebacker Anthony Barr was a finalist for the award last season.

The Butkus Award watch list is more limited in its parameters and its inclusion, honoring the nation’s best linebacker and featuring a list of just 51 players.

Jack and Kendricks have both done plenty to plead their case for both awards, Kendricks through his body of work and Jack with his potential. Kendricks has led UCLA in tackles for two consecutive seasons, finishing the 2013 campaign with 106 tackles.

Jack, meanwhile, is just one year into his college career but has already played his way into contention for these major awards. In his freshman season, Jack finished with 75 tackles and excelled in pass coverage as well on his way to winning Pac-12 Defensive Freshman of the Year.

The two linebackers will begin their campaign for their awards on Aug. 30 as UCLA begins its season at Virginia.

Compiled by Kevin Bowman, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Daily Bruin