UCLA track and field set to take the stage at NCAA outdoors

By Alexander Hyun

This is it for the Bruins.

There’s no holding back now as UCLA heads to Eugene, Ore., this week for the NCAA track and field outdoor championships.

The Bruins are taking 11 athletes to the meet – eight are making their first trip to nationals.

Redshirt sophomore shot putter Nicholas Scarvelis is ready for the opportunity to compete on the NCAA’s biggest stage. After ranking No. 8 at NCAA regionals, Scarvelis has a solid chance to win this weekend.

“Last year at regionals I placed 13th when they only took 12 athletes and this year at the indoor qualifiers I placed 17th when they only took 16, so to finally get this chance after missing the last two national qualifiers is unbelievably exciting,” Scarvelis said. “The challenge is that it’s my first time competing.”

This is also the first nationals appearance for sophomore hurdler Trinity Wilson.

“It’s tremendously exciting because I get to represent the rest of the track team by going,” Wilson said. “Seeing how hard everyone on the team has worked and seeing how some people missed qualifiers by one spot, I feel very honored to go.”

For the women, senior pole vaulter Natasha Kolbo, senior heptathlete Alexis Walker, junior hurdler Brea Buchanan and junior jumper Zibby Boyer will all be looking to make an impact this week as each will be making their first appearances.

From the men’s side, other first-time attendees include sophomore distance runner Nick Hartle and redshirt freshman javelin thrower Cody Danielson.

Despite the large amount of first-timers, the team isn’t without its share of returning veterans.

Junior long jumper Kylie Price and redshirt senior thrower Matthew Kosecki are returning to nationals and will be looking to win their events for the first time in the championships. Both have earned All-American honors in previous outdoor championships.

However, redshirt senior discus thrower Julian Wruck is seeking a different path. Wruck has won NCAA titles in 2011 and 2013 and will be looking to win his third outdoor championship.

Wruck is currently No. 2 and will have a good shot to win.

“I’m just excited to be here and I want to make this as much of a positive experience for those who’ve made it win or lose,” said men’s coach John Frazier. “We’re at the top of the food chain now at this meet so you just want to go out, do the best that you can do, and have fun doing it.”

Alexander Hyun