Track and field ready to take on NCAA West Regional

Sophomore middle distance runner Nick Hartle said he’s looking for “redemption” in this year’s NCAA West Region Preliminary to make up for his “pretty bad” performance last year. (Katie Meyers/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Alexander Hyun

The time is now for the UCLA track and field team to showcase its best as it competes in the the NCAA West Regional Preliminary Championships this weekend.

The Bruins send 27 athletes to Fayetteville, Ark., including senior pole vaulter Mike Woepse and redshirt senior discus thrower Julian Wruck. Both have high marks in the West region and will participate in their last regionals.

web.sp.5.29.track.picB.KM.jpg
Junior jumper Kylie Price, ranked No. 2 in the West region in long jump, said she expects to advance past the NCAA regionals this weekend. (Katie Meyers/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Some other standout athletes who have a chance to move on to the finals from the women’s side are senior pole vaulter Natasha Kolbo, who ranks seventh in the region, and junior jumper Alexis Walker, who will be competing in the high jump as she has already qualified for finals in the heptathlon.

From the men’s side, besides the aforementioned athletes, redshirt senior discus thrower Matthew Kosecki and redshirt sophomore shot put thrower Nicholas Scarvelis look forward to continuing their strong seasons, especially Scarvelis who is coming off of a first-place finish at the Pac-12 championships.

Junior jumper Kylie Price ranks second in the long jump in the West region and is pushing to have a successful preliminary competition.

“I expect to do well this weekend. The main thing is that I stay healthy and perform well enough to make it to the finals in Oregon,” Price said. “It would be nice to win, but the main goal this weekend is to qualify for finals and I’m very confident I can do that.”

A stronger mentality will also be in play for the team this year.

“Last year we were a little complacent after the Pac-12 championships, so it’s definitely changed our mindset this year,” said sophomore middle distance runner Nick Hartle. “We’re definitely going to make sure we do our best by throwing for a couple more inches, by jumping a few extra inches, and by finishing races stronger.”

Hartle is especially focused as he said his experience last year was “pretty bad” and that he’ll be looking for “redemption” to help his team and make it to the finals.

Despite an influx of newcomers and a decent amount of veterans who are performing for the last time, the team is ready to compete well this weekend.

“Absolutely, the team is excited this week. The athletes who we’ve brought are relishing the opportunity to possibly qualify for finals,” said director of track and field Mike Maynard. Maynard also feels confident that everyone who’s competing has a good chance to move on to the finals.

Freshman javelin thrower Zaybree Haury and redshirt freshman high jumper Cody Crampton look forward to making good marks and competing well in their first meet.

“We’re all behind each other and the best reminder for new players is to not overthink things and just go out, have fun and do their best,” Hartle said. “For us veterans, each year is one less chance to compete for finals, so we have to be on top of our game.”

Alexander Hyun