Student Sartorialist: Doing more with less using crop tops, cutoffs and cutouts

Second-year biology student Belle Chuang, among other UCLA students, incorporates the crop-top trend into her personal style. In addition to crop tops, cutoffs and cutouts are all trends that are gaining popularity on the UCLA campus.
(Kasey Angsioco/Daily Bruin)

By Noor Gill

Crop tops, cutoffs and cutouts are all trends that you don’t need to look very hard to find in Southern California.

Not only are they in many stores that cater to the young adult demographic, but I’ve also spotted them all across our campus, to a point where I almost feel that the trend has become inescapable.

The popularity of these styles, however, doesn’t prevent me from recognizing that half of a shirt, a dress with holes cut out from the sides and jeans that are ripped into shorts are not fully assembled clothing items. So why are so many students on our campus, including myself, attracted to these trends that consist of less fabric, often not at a lower price?

These garments certainly come with their cons, but they also come with several pros that keep students coming back for more baby-sized shirts than better judgment would dictate.

Although crop tops, cutoffs and cutouts are fads hoped by some to be fleeting, they’ve actually been present in fashion for a much longer time than I had previously thought.

Crop tops were paired with high-waisted shorts in the ’50s and seen on Barbara Eden of “I Dream of Jeannie” in the ’60s. They made their return with fashion trendsetter Madonna in the ’80s and finally hit their biggest resurgence in the ’90s, seen everywhere from girl groups like TLC and the Spice Girls to cult classics such as “Clueless.” The long history tracing crop tops makes them, dare I say, a wardrobe classic.

Price is another issue: Details like distressing cutoffs or cropping and hemming shirts will, in most cases, sell at higher prices.

However, some of these details can be achieved through DIY methods, which greatly appeal to college students on stricter budgets. DIY helps accomplish the more effortless, often grunge-influenced style without paradoxically having to lay down more money for something that looks purposefully worn.

Another argument against these styles is that they can be overly revealing, inappropriate and unflattering in certain situations. I admit that cutoffs and a shirt with a belly cutout may not be the most proper outfit to be wearing to the office. However, there are ways to embrace the trend more appropriately.

Abigail Dam, a second-year molecular, cell and developmental biology student and an owner of many crop tops, said that she is not the biggest fan of showing a lot of skin but still finds that she can wear the style in both an appropriate and flattering way.

“I like crop tops because I’m pretty petite and my legs aren’t really long,” Dam said. “They give the illusion of having a shorter torso and longer legs.”

Cutouts also allow for some skin exposure without having to veer on the side of being too revealing. Cutouts don’t always have to be large pieces exposing the waist or back. Rather, they can be small geometric patterns around the neckline or even interesting shapes cut out of footwear.

Balenciaga’s buckle strap ankle boot is one such example of the cutout trend going beyond the expected “sexy” direction, instead giving off a tougher, more industrial vibe.The popularity of the shoes has translated into many reproductions that are a bit more accessible to students, sold by retailers like ASOS, Topshop and Urban Outfitters.

“Boots with cutouts give off almost the same appeal as a normal ankle bootie,” Dam said. “I feel that the cutouts just add a twist.”

To me, this is the biggest reason why students find themselves so attracted to these fashions – it’s all about the twist. The frayed edges at the end of shorts or the small laser-cut triangles on the neckline of your favorite little black dress are the kinds of details that make clothing pieces stand out, or at the very least, a little out of the ordinary.

What do you think about crop tops, cutoffs and cutouts?

Noor Gill