Women’s tennis players earns top honors at Pac-12 awards

Junior Robin Anderson during the 2014 NCAA Women’s Tennis Championships. The Bruins defeated the UNC Tar Heels 4-3 to claim their 111th national championship title in Athens, GA.

By Chris Kalra

It seems as if a national championship was only the beginning of the hardware collection for this year’s UCLA women’s tennis team.

On Wednesday, the Pac-12 women’s tennis all-conference awards were announced and the Bruins were heavy winners.

Junior Robin Anderson, who spent much of the year as a top-two nationally ranked singles player, took home Singles Player of the Year. Freshman Jennifer Brady won Freshman/Newcomer of the Year after bursting on to the scene this year with a singles title at Pac-12 championships and a 39-8 record from the No. 2 spot.

Together, Anderson and Brady were named the Doubles Team of the Year, as the pair were ranked No. 1 in the nation all season long. And if the two hadn’t received enough accolades yet, both were named first team All-Pac-12.

Junior Chanelle Van Nguyen made second team All-Pac-12, while sophomore Kyle McPhillips was an honorable mention.

Compiled by Chris Kalra, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Chris Kalra | Alumnus
Kalra joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2011 and contributed until 2014. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2013-2014 academic year and spent time on the football, women's basketball, men's soccer and beach volleyball beats.