Participants in UCLA Relay for Life raise over $130K

By Alejandra Reyes-Velarde

Energy levels dwindled, but spirits were not broken as participants walked around the track in the last hour of UCLA’s Relay for Life event Sunday.

The goal of the closing ceremony for Relay for Life was to take all of the passion displayed during the event and inspire individuals to take action to prevent and fight against cancer, said Nahal Sabrkhani, the advocacy chair of UCLA’s Colleges Against Cancer and fourth-year psychobiology student.

This year, Relay for Life participants raised about $131,400 that will be donated to the American Cancer Society for research and other programs such as Road to Recovery and Look Good…Feel Better, a service that teaches women beauty techniques to feel more confident about their appearance during chemotherapy.

After the fundraising amount was announced, participants cheered and celebrated, taking their final lap around the field.

During their presentation, board members of UCLA’s Colleges Against Cancer presented participants with information about health and preventing cancer. They said that although cancer has hereditary components, small things like wearing sunblock, having a healthy diet and refraining from smoking tobacco products can make a big difference in prevention.

They also talked about the importance of providing and using resources and education.

For Sabrkhani, being a part of Relay for Life is a way for individuals to take part in something bigger than themselves and their stories.

“Everyone has a story. I’ve had family members and families of close friends affected,” Sabrkhani said. “It makes me realize that it can happen to anyone. It doesn’t stop in its tracks.”

After a performance by community service-based a cappella group, Medleys A Cappella, Colleges against Cancer board members recognized several students and groups who raised more than $1,000 for the event.

Theta Chi was awarded a trophy for winning the most spirit points and for raising more than $10,000 for the event.

“Relay for Life was a great way for people to bond and come together in the face of so much sadness,” Sarkhani said.

Compiled by Alejandra Reyes, Bruin contributor.

Alejandra Reyes-Velarde | News editor
Reyes is the Daily Bruin's News editor and an Editorial Board member. Previously, she was the Science & Health editor covering research, the UCLA health system and graduate school news. She also writes Arts & Entertainment stories and photographs for the Bruin.