Return of senior player promising for men’s tennis

By Anay Dattawadkar

A day that ended in disappointment for the UCLA men’s tennis team began on a much more positive and unfamiliar note.

It started with the return of senior Adrien Puget. The senior, out for the majority of the season due to patellar tendinitis, took to the court for the first time this year in Friday’s match against USC.

His return infused new life into the Bruin doubles lineup, whose struggles for the majority of the year have been the team’s biggest area of concern. Puget, paired with freshman Mackenzie McDonald, helped the Bruins clinch the doubles point – something they have been unable to do on a regular basis this year. However, the team’s fortunes went downhill from there, as they dropped four singles matches en route to a 4-2 loss to the Trojans.

“I felt that the first couple singles games were tough to handle for the guys,” Puget said. “I think we kind of cruised after winning the doubles point, whereas the USC guys came back strong and were able to finish it.”

Winning in doubles and losing in singles – it was a unique inversion for the Bruins, who have succeeded this year with the exact opposite formula. However, members of the team cited the doubles victory as an encouraging sign for the team, especially given the quality of the opposition.

According to junior Marcos Giron, Puget’s return will be crucial for the Bruins going forward, especially in doubles.

“Puget’s one of our best players, he’s such an emotional leader,” Giron said. “I think he’s that missing piece to the team. I’m very happy with how he came back, (showing) no nerves in his first match, and that’s very impressive for the future.”

Coach Billy Martin seconded this, citing Puget’s doubles experience as something that will help solidify that aspect of the team. Martin, who has spoken throughout the year about Puget’s eventual return, was understandably delighted to have the senior back.

“(Puget) is a great competitor and has always led us on the court with his terrific play,” Martin said. “I think his return will be a big advantage for us as we move forward into the more important times of the year.”

Those important times begin this week, as the Bruins travel to Ojai for the Pac-12 championships, where they will be the No. 2 seed. If all goes well for the team in Ojai, they will have another shot at their rivals with a chance to take the Pac-12 title – the Trojans are the tournament’s No. 1 seed.

Armed with newfound confidence and the return of their senior leader, the team seems intent on making that potential a reality and capitalizing on it.

Anay Dattawadkar