Prospective students arrive for Bruin Day

By Bria Chavez

On Saturday, UCLA hosted Bruin Day, its annual event for recently accepted students for Fall 2014. While some of these prospective students have already committed to attend UCLA, others were very much on the brink of their decisions. Listen to the many factors students take into consideration before pressing the accept button.

Also, read JP Cavender’s write up of the Bruin Overnight Experience at dailybruin.com/news.

TRANSCRIPT:

CHAVEZ: This past weekend hundreds of baby Bruins prowled the campus. On Saturday April 19, UCLA hosted its 3rd annual ‘Bruin Day’ for recently accepted students for Fall 2014. This year, UCLA Office of Residential Life organized the “UCLA Overnight Experience” an opportunity for potential students to have a true bruin experience by spending the night on the hill. While some of these prospective students have pressed the accept button on their Statement of Intent to Register and are committed to attend UCLA, others are very much on the brink of their decisions. Prospective students like Ariana Michael from Las Vegas, Nevada must consider any factors when deciding between schools including location, programs, social life, and class size.

MICHAEL:  I’m primarily deciding between UCLA and CAL. and both obviously are amazing schools and are really high caliber… I’m hoping that Bruin Day will really open my eyes to the social scene here and what being a UCLA student really is all about.

CHAVEZ: UCLA ORL organized an overnight experience Friday evening on the hill for prospective students visiting UCLA from out of state. Arriving a night earlier, students were able to attend several events, giving them a better idea of what it’s like to live on the hill, These events included a student panel of current UCLA students sharing their experience, meeting other prospective students, and experiencing residential life. More activities offered throughout Bruin Day included faculty lectures, housing tours, and student club and department previews. Lindsey Mccumber from Baltimore Maryland and Riley O’ Rourke from Kirkland Washington share their first impressions.

MCCUMBER: This is the first time I am experiencing the hill and the residential part so its kind of giving me the full picture and I’m just really happy so far because I’m meeting actual students and I’m seeing where I can be living.

O’ ROURKE: The overnight stay was really fun. The student panel was really informative. A good chance to talk to students one on one. It was really instructed but also quite a really fun time. I’m so excited to be here.

CHAVEZ: When I asked what was affecting their decision to either accept or deny their acceptance to UCLA, prospective students Eric Rosenbower from North Carolina and Michael contemplated a few things:

ROSENBOWER: A big thing for me is how many people look happy or look like they are enjoying being on campus. I asked a couple people, random students for directions and they were really friendly everyone in general looked happy to be here. And so far the panelist and the people helping out for bruin day seem really excited to do this.

CHAVEZ: At the end of the day, prospective bruins calculated all factors of Bruin Day, from housing & meal plans, to greek life, faculty and clubs. Mccumber wraps up her thoughts:

MCCUMBER: Well basically before I was in love with a school I have gotten to know online and now being in the dorms and being on campus and seeing people I will probably be going to school with next year has given me a more accurate representation of what my experience will be like. so its been very beneficial and I’m glad I came.

CHAVEZ: Campus visits can be beneficial for those deciding which college is the perfect match, and Bruin Day gives students that opportunity to decide. And as for those already committed to UCLA, well… you can be sure to hear that Victory Bell, welcoming the new bruins to the family.
For Daily Bruin Radio this is Bria Chavez

Bria Chavez