Jordan Adams returning to UCLA for junior season

Sophomore guard Jordan Adams, UCLA’s leading scorer for the 2013-2014 season, announced his decision to return to UCLA next season Thursday.

Tim Bradbury/Daily Bruin senior staff

By Kevin Bowman

This post was updated at 3:18 p.m.

Sophomore guard Jordan Adams will return to UCLA for his junior season and not enter the NBA draft, UCLA announced Thursday.

“I’ve had so much fun playing here at UCLA, and I’m really excited about the team we’re going to have next year,” Adams said in a statement. “Once the season ended, my family and I began carefully weighing all of my options. In the end, staying at UCLA for my junior year is a win-win situation.”

Adams filed paperwork for an NBA draft evaluation earlier this week. He was ranked No. 51 on ESPN’s NBA draft analyst Chad Ford’s 2014 Big Board.

“I’m glad that I went through the process, received constructive feedback and had time to reflect on what I truly want,” Adams said in a statement.

Adams, who earned first-team All-Pac-12 honors for the 2013-2014 season, led the Bruins in scoring, averaging 17.4 points per game, and also added 5.3 rebounds and 2.6 steals per game. His 95 steals set a single-season school record.

“Obviously we are really excited to have Jordan returning to our program,” said coach Steve Alford in a statement. “He has been a huge part of this team the last two years, and he will have an even greater role next season. … He’s the kind of guy you want in your locker room, on your team and on your court. Jordan is the total package.”

With a lack of backcourt depth next season, Adams’ return is key for UCLA. He will join freshman guards Isaac Hamilton, who was ineligible for the 2013-2014 season, and Bryce Alford as the only backcourt players who are officially returning that are likely to get significant minutes.

Junior guard Norman Powell, who also submitted paperwork for a draft grade, has yet to officially announce a decision of whether or not to return, but told the Daily Bruin in February he was leaning toward returning.

“I don’t have any mindset of leaving after my junior year,” Powell said. “If, at the end of the season, people are coming and talking to me that I can make that step and all this, then that’s something to consider, but right now, I’m fully set on returning next year and having a great senior year.”

UCLA already lost two of its backcourt players to the NBA draft this offseason, as freshman guard Zach LaVine and sophomore guard/forward Kyle Anderson officially announced they would declare for the draft Wednesday.

Compiled by Kevin Bowman, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Kevin Bowman | Alumnus